Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

17" X 9.5 '88 - '96 ZR1 wheels on a 1986?

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
Hi all, Done a lot of reading and just as confused as ever. I want to purchase a set of ZR1 style rims, 17 X 9.5 for my 1986 coupe. What would I have to do to get them to fit right? I've read about offsets and spacers and countersunk lugs, and still confused!!!:confused
Any help would be great as the weather has turned and the car is ready, except for tires and rims! :beer

Hi all, Done a lot of reading and just as confused as ever. I want to purchase a set of ZR1 style rims, 17 X 9.5 for my 1986 coupe. What would I have to do to get them to fit right? I've read about offsets and spacers and countersunk lugs, and still confused!!!:confused
Any help would be great as the weather has turned and the car is ready, except for tires and rims! :beer

Offset is the key. Offset is the difference from the middle of the rim to the mounting surface. The closer to the outside of the rim it mounts, is MORE offset. If the mount is closer to the center, that is less offset. Since the width of rear ends changed over the yrs, so did the offset as did the wheel style.
Your 16" are probably 38mm. FYI.

There are 17" spoke wheels that have a similar offset. If you find some that have more, meaning they are going to set inside the body more than they should, spacer/adaptors come in all sizes to make up the difference. If you have to use spacers plan on around $250 for 4 good ones.
Where ever you buy the rims, just check the offset...if its more than 38mm....you may need spacers. approx 25mm= 1"

Thanks Boom, Think I found some with a similiar offset (35mm). Talk about confusing, just for the heck of it, I stopped at the NTB near the office today, he showed me a bunch of styles. I asked about offsets, the wheels he was showing me were in the 50 to 56mm range. I said are you sure they fit? The reply was "they wouldnt be in our computer system if they didnt fit". Oh boy! :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom