Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1954 Powerglide Noise

joe_navy1990

Greetings,

Occasionally when going over bumps the shifter in my 1954 Corvette with standard 2-speed Powerglide transmission would vibrate and a grinding noise would come from the approximate area where the shifter attached to car. Once or twice the vibration caused the nut which holds the decorative cover on the inside of the car to back off. These events were rare, seemed to be related to bumps in the road and were most prevalent with two people in the car. During my last drive after going over a particularly bumpy road the noise persisted when going forward on smoother sections of pavement. If I put lateral pressure on the shifter, pushing it toward me as one would when preparing to shift but keeping the lever in the drive position, I could drive the car and the noise stopped. Can anyone tell me what the cause/source of this noise might be?

Thanks,

-Joe-

Might be a broken trans mount or motor mounts.

To start the diagnosis, I'd get the car up on a lift or high jack stands and inspect all bolts holding powertrain mounting brackets and check all powertrain mounts.

Also, inspect the frame around powertrain mountings for cracks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom