Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1957 Corvette SS

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
I love this car.

Went to Indy a couple of weeks ago and stopped in to the Speedway museum while my wife was in a GM training class. I never get tired of looking at this car.

e8a21bf2.jpg

e8a21a23.jpg

e8a20672.jpg

e8a209e9.jpg

e8a21ccf.jpg

Tom

I love the exposed headlights!!!! I guess that is where they got the idea for the exposed headlights on the C6??? Hmmmm, some styling features from many years past brought into the modern era

Tom, you aren't alone in your admiration. I've always loved that car too, and from the crowd around it at the Monterey Historics, (hard to get a picture) it appears that it is highly popular.
Ol Blue

07montereyhistorics068(Small).jpg

I love that car!

And this from the Gallery.....

sebringss4.jpg

Built under the direction of Zora Arkus-Duntov, it boasted a super light magnesium alloy body, tubular frame, and a 300+ hp 283 ci fuel injected V8. The whole car was more than 900 pounds lighter than a standard production Corvette.
The plan was to test this car at the 12 hour race on its way to racing at the 24 hours of Le Mans, however both racing events were not to end on a happy note for the SS.
At Sebring the car only lasted 23 laps before being forced to retire due to a myriad of technical problems, and soon after Sebring the AMA banned manufacture-sponsored racing so the SS never entered Le Mans. This first "Chevy SS" spent its days relegated to the test track.
But out of the fire rises the phoenix: 2 years later Bill Mitchell took an SS chassis and built an even more famous Corvette legend upon it: the '59 Stingray.

:CAC :_rock

..........2 years later Bill Mitchell took an SS chassis and built an even more famous Corvette legend upon it: the '59 Stingray.

And, to make the circle complete, some of you may remember the tale I posted some time back about my driving Bill's '59 Sting Ray Racer (as well as the Aerovette) around Niagara Falls, Ontario back in 1982.

Life is good.
:beer

Thread note:

The Sony Imagestation service where I had my pictures stored is closing on Feb. 1, 2008. If my pictures or the link to the Indy Museum fail to open sometime in the future please contact me so I can fix it. I have moved my albums to Shutterfly and, so far, they still open just fine so I'm hoping for the best.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom