Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1960 Corvette Exterior Color

• Thread starter Thread starter fat8
  • Start date Start date
F

fat8

Hi,

I am a new owner of a 1960 Corvette. My brother-in-law (recently deceased) told me that his car's original color is the current color of yellow. All my research shows that yellow was not one of the color choices for 1960. If I give you my VIN #, would you be able to tell me what was the original color of my Corvette? Or, do you know of a link where I can check the exterior color using my VIN #?

Thanks

vin # can't tell you the original color and trim tags didn't come out until 1963. Places to check for original color are deep under the dash, behind footwell kick panels, inside doors, or behind the trunk/top well barrier.

Welcome to the CAC!

Open your trunk, and remove the cardboard liner that goes around the trunk hinges (if it is still there). Once that is out of the way, take a quarter (yes, a quarter) and scrape the fiberglass to the left of the right hand trunk hinge. During production the body color was written in grease crayon in this location. The paint will come off the writing when scraped with the quarter, and reveal the color which was written. The cardboard liner will hide this when re-installed if you have any reservations. Good Luck!

Dick

did your your 60 come to you through a deceased brother in law?/??? strange . mine did also recently. i love this corvette, but i would probably not have bought one. Realizing the enjoyment i've had working and driving this car so far, maybe it falling into my hands wasn't a co-incidence.

1960 Paint Color

Hi! Congrats on the 1960

As posted earlier, the color of the exterior should be hand written on the right inside panel behind the cardboard panel. Depending on the quality of repaint, you may be able to look in areas and find traces of the original color. My 61 was repainted Jewel Blue from the original Sateen Silver. The trunk area in the 61 is still Sateen Silver. The exterior colors available in 1960 were: Tuxedo Black, Tasco Turquoise, Horizon Blue, Honduras Maroon, Roman Red, Ermine White, Sateen Silver and Cascade green

Ray

MidShark said:
Welcome to the CAC!

Open your trunk, and remove the cardboard liner that goes around the trunk hinges (if it is still there). Once that is out of the way, take a quarter (yes, a quarter) and scrape the fiberglass to the left of the right hand trunk hinge. During production the body color was written in grease crayon in this location. The paint will come off the writing when scraped with the quarter, and reveal the color which was written. The cardboard liner will hide this when re-installed if you have any reservations. Good Luck!

Dick
Does anyone know if this applies to a 61 Vette also? I was told that on 61's the grease markings were behind the passenger seat. Thanks for any replies.
:confused

Not sure on the '61 but removing the door sill plate or interior door panel is also a good place to look. Anything that might have been taped off instead of removed is a place to investigate. On my 59 I can plainly see the letters BLK on the above described area even though the trunk was repainted red once.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom