Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1960 Corvette value

b_pappy

Corvette
2000 Yellow convertible
I am trying to help a friend determine a realistic value for her 1960 Corvette. This is not my car, nor do I have interest in purchasing it.
I've listed most of what I know, but ask questions if it helps. At this point she is trying to determine a value. She has an appraisal from about 5 years ago, which seems unrealistically high.
IMG_2061.jpg

1960 Corvette,
One owner since about 1963. She believes it to be a 283 / 245 car, but there is only a single 4 bbl and Powerglide transmission. Numbers I could read are listed below if they help.
The car has an "authentic patina", which is to say it has been driven and used, but not abused.
Appears to be relatively straight and rust free California black plate car, repainted years ago, showing it's age again, including typical stress cracks.
Starts and runs, I believe most electrical works.
Interior is okay, carpet at driver door is worst part and glass is cloudy.
Car has the hardtop installed and she believes she has the frame for the soft top, but the material is long gone.
She doesn't need the money, but she "is ready" to let go of the car at a price she is comfortable with.
So, what kind of realistic value is she looking at? And she would prefer the car not leave the country.

VIN tag: 00867S100781
Engine number on front of RH head looks like: F1006DJ (?)

Here's a link to a series of photos of the car:
1960 Corvette pictures by b_pappy - Photobucket

I'm am not the owner, I am not making any money on this, and I have no interest in purchasing this car, I'm just trying to help her arrive at a value.
Reply here, PM or e-mail direct at Bruce4Adams@hotmail.com

VIN tag: 00867S100781
Engine number on front of RH head looks like: F1006DJ (?)

DJ is the correct suffix for a 2x4 245hp Powerglide engine, if it's a 3756519 block cast in 1959. It's an early car, built a couple of months before they started stamping the VIN derivative on the pad.

:beer

It looks like a nice example of an early production car. I see that it's also before they started attaching the VIN plate to the steering column jacket.

In my opinion it's too nice to restore. Since it's been painted once another proper repaint won't hurt it's value as well as a carpet replacement. Black with red is popular right now as are unrestored original cars. It would bring more with the carbs on it but the cost of a restored set would be more than what you would gain. It would be nice to find a simply rebuilt set or rebuildable set with the right numbers whose patina would match the rest of the car. I don't think the missing carbs would be a deal killer though. The car is overall too nice and original to pass up for a set of missing carbs.

As for the value? Well, if it was at the big dealer down the road from me it would be $69,000. That seems to be a standard fits most price there and he would be hyping the originality and California black plate deal to the max. There was a very nice big brake fuelie that had been converted to a drag car but not cut up, sell locally here at an estate auction for $27,000. this spring. The engine and FI were gone and it had a Dana 60 rear end but the car had been setting in a heated garage since the early '70s when it was replaced on the track with a Camaro. It's Tasco Turquoise and was on the Pro Team site. May still be there.

To the right person this car could sell high. If it was mine I'd have to have at least $40,000. due to it's originality. It could go for a lot more but the Powerglide may hold it back some. I would not sell it to someone who would blow it apart for a frame off restoration. They are only original once.

Tom

Thanks, I was thinking 40k would be the top of the market. I'll see how she feels about that, she has an appraisal from several years ago for $55,000 - $60,000, which I already told her was very high in today's market (maybe even back then).
Anyhow, I'll see how she wants to proceed, thanks for the input.
Bruce

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom