Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1960 exhaust / tailpipe question

60vetteguy

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. So I'm in the process of restoring my '60 corvette, it was garaged here in San Francisco for nearly 40 years and the last 5 years I've got her back running and then eventually started slowly restoring her. There are still a lot of original components on the car including the AP 4.11 posi and then I noticed it has a GM turn down tailpipe with manufacture # 3796746. I looked this number up and found it to be for a 1961 exhaust/tailpipe option. My car was a late build last week of June 1960 and was wondering if this is something I should leave on the car or update back to original? I also read that 60 cars could option other exhaust (off-road mufflers, etc.) from previous years, but does anyone know of this may have been a dealer option if the car was sold in late '60? I also should add this car as many others was raced in the early 60's which may have been another reason it was added. Just wanted to get some of your guys thoughts on where to go or of this is anything special.

personally if nothing wrong with exhaust wouldn't touch a thing

Thanks for the advice. Just want to make sure even though these are technically one year old pipes (1961), that they are still considered period correct and not frowned upon if judged as more of an original type of car.

Last edited:
If you are asking would you receive point deductions if you have the car judged say by NCRS - yes, as you would definitely receive a DATE CODE deduction, and possibly more, depending on the application of C-D-C-I-F process the NCRS uses to judge Originality. And, depending on Condition of the system, you could lose condition points. Hope this helps.

The exhaust exiting through the bumpers on all '58-'60 Corvettes and even the '56 and '57s was very hard on the chrome around the outlet. It was a common thing back then to use the '61/'62 tail pipes or even custom made tail pipes that turned down below the rear valance to get the exhaust out of the bumper. It doesn't hurt a thing other than originality. The pipes are the same diameter. There is no performance advantage, it just keeps the bumpers clean.

Tom

looks like two threads started - agree with Tom and still would NOT change them out

Threads merged.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom