Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1961 Corvette Steering Wheel

VetteFreak101

Corvette
1961 Corvette, 1989 Corvette
Has anyone had their steering wheel restored on a C1 Corvette (I own a 1961 Corvette w/a red interior)? I have one that is not in bad shape except for the usual cracks here and there and am trying to decide whether or not to get it done. If you had it done, can you tell me a little bit about the process. Who did it? What was the cost? My biggest concern is that someone is going to fill the cracks with body puddy and paint it. This is not what I am looking for. And if that is the case, I would much rather leave it the way it is and call it patina.

:welcome

Mine has a few small patina cracks too. I'll be interested in the responses to this question. There has been a lot written over the years about proper and improper restoration meathods. Eastwood makes a steering wheel restoration kit that is supposed to use the right epoxy. I have been temped to try it myself since the '59 wheel is smooth and doesn't have any grain texture.

Tom

If you want it done professionally, by someone who knows what they're doing and has been doing C1 steering wheels for many years with no complaints, call Richard Dunham at (517) 339-8225. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom