Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1961 Corvette Wonderbar Radio

R

Roger Quintero

I need a little help identifying a wonderbar radio I took out of my 61 vette. It has a tag under the cover of the radio with an identification number (83WCA-1783). I cannot find that number on the Delco Id site and the wonderbarman website. The various sites identify Delco radios with numbers and no letters? Other than looking like the standard wonderbar radio, I noticed the push buttons have a little indent. I might be wrong, however I believe 62 wonderbar radios had that little indent on the push buttons.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

Wonderbar Radios

Welcome to your first post, although you have been a member for a few years.

I remember something about flat buttons and curved buttons. I believe that you are right that the later radios had the curved buttons. I can't go by my 1959 as it is a no radio car. Here is what the '59 judging manual says about the radio buttons.

"Radio push buttons in 1958 and 1959 are consistently flat. 1960 models are for the most part flat buttons, but occasionally 1961 type curved finger buttons are noted on 1960 models."

That would leave me to believe that all 1961 and 1962 radios had curved finger buttons. All other info in my judging manual is specific to 1958 to 1960 radios. I would tend to believe that you have the original radio for your car.

I know there was an article in the Corvette Restorer magazine several years ago on the subject. Check the articles index on NCRS.org for the exact issue. I or someone else may be able to find the old issue and scan it for you.

Tom

Every little bit of information helps.
Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom