Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1965 Corvette petronix wiring

freeequip

Corvette
1965 Red Conv
I am installing Petronix ignition maybe dumb question ? Does positive wire hook to Ignition side of resister, Thanks

I've never installed a Petronix but lots of guys here have used them so I'm sure someone will reply shortly.

Tom

I've installed the Petronix in numerous Vette's, etc. Hook the positive to the hot side of the resistor so that the Petronix gets 12 volts and not nine volts. You will like it. Hope this helps.:cool!:

petronix

Thank You, That tells me what I needed to know

Then

Install an MSD blaster and coil and the car will run on split pea soup.....
Muy Muy MORE spark...
I have the Petronix and MSD.. and the car starts on the first blip..

Mike

Vigman has a good point. On the '65 327/350HP I installed it on, we also used the Petronix coil. Just touching the key and the car fires up. Also no more loading up on start. Made an amazing difference.

Thanks for evryone's Help ! ordered Coil

:happyanim:
Vigman has a good point. On the '65 327/350HP I installed it on, we also used the Petronix coil. Just touching the key and the car fires up. Also no more loading up on start. Made an amazing difference.

Thanks for evryone's Help ! ordered Coil

Truer words never spoken: "Install an MSD blaster and coil and the car will run on split pea soup..... "

Which coil did you order? If you have a Pertronix II, it's designed to be mated to a 40 KV coil. Pertronix III with a 45 KV coil. In either case, bypass the ballast resistor so coil sees full battery voltage at all times. This link should help:

PerTronix Instruction Manuals

click on: "Ignitor 12v neg ground"

Last edited:
What triple sez!

The ballast resistor was a current limiter to drop the voltage in RUN to ~ 9 volts this keeps the coil from FRYING, if the car is off points are CLOSED and the ignition was left ON.. Modern ignition products need the full 12 volts and do NOT have that " issue "....

Reading that I remembered that my high school buddies' '53 Ford 6 was a positive ground. Checking on the AACA forums I found that until the 12 volt changeover for most cars in 1955 many American cars were pos ground. The big exception was GM. My 53 Olds was 12 volt neg ground. Sorry if I took this thread off track.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom