Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1970 corvette bronze

RUSS O'BLENES

Corvette
1970 BRONZE COUPE/WHITE 69 CONV
i have a 1970 coupe painted "corvette bronze". i bought the car from the original owner in 1980 and found out that only a hundred or so cars were painted this color in 1970. they had problems with the ontario orange and used this 1968 color until the problem was corrected. at one time there was a group that kept track of these cars. does anyone have any info on this. thanks russ

According to my color guide, '68 Corvette bronze and '70 Corvette bronze are not the same color; formula specs are different. I would order the NCRS judging manual for '70 and see what it has to say about '70 bronze.
:)

993 PAINT CODE

According to my color guide, '68 Corvette bronze and '70 Corvette bronze are not the same color; formula specs are different. I would order the NCRS judging manual for '70 and see what it has to say about '70 bronze.
:)
THANKS MIKE
RUSS

i have a 1970 coupe painted "corvette bronze". i bought the car from the original owner in 1980 and found out that only a hundred or so cars were painted this color in 1970. they had problems with the ontario orange and used this 1968 color until the problem was corrected. at one time there was a group that kept track of these cars. does anyone have any info on this. thanks russ

I've seen pictures of cars painted in this color, and they were really sharp. It doesn't look orange or bronze at all, but it's hard to describe. I guess the best way to describe it is that they probably combined red and bronze paint - it's more of a red than a bronze/brown. I think the last one I saw was on ProTeams website, but that was a while ago.

70 BRONZE

THANKS NEVADA. I DO LIKE THE COLOR. IT IS PRETTY RARE. I PAINTED THE CAR IN 1980 WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND I AM PAINTING IT AGAIN NOW. I READ IN A EARLY 80'S VETTE VIEWS ABOUT A GUY THAT HAD COLLECTED SOME DATA ON THESE CARS, AND WAS JUST WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYONE STILL DOING THIS. HAPPY MOTORING. RUSS

Had a '57 'vette I had painted in '57 Thunderbird bronze, only because my buddy had a T-bird and I liked the his color.

Bronze car with Grecian Gold coves. Originally white with black (I think) coves.

I liked it!

Corvette Bronze is my favorite color.I looked all over for a car that color when shopping for my Vette.Ive got a great film picture of a 1970 ZR1 conv with hardtop painted Corvette Bronze from a museum in Daytona.

I owned a 1968 Z/28 Camaro that was Corvette bronze with black stripes and interior. To this day that is my favorite car I have ever owned, and I have owned many. I got the car in late 69 and just had to have it because my favorite drag racer, Dave Strickler, won the Super Stock NHRA class that year in a car exactly like it that was built by Grumpy Jenkins. I also now have a 1/18 scale die cast of that very car. Corvette bronze is awesome.

Corvette Bronze is my favorite color.I looked all over for a car that color when shopping for my Vette.Ive got a great film picture of a 1970 ZR1 conv with hardtop painted Corvette Bronze from a museum in Daytona.
THANKS. I LOVE THE COLOR TOO. IT LOOK GREAT IN THE SUN.

I owned a 1968 Z/28 Camaro that was Corvette bronze with black stripes and interior. To this day that is my favorite car I have ever owned, and I have owned many. I got the car in late 69 and just had to have it because my favorite drag racer, Dave Strickler, won the Super Stock NHRA class that year in a car exactly like it that was built by Grumpy Jenkins. I also now have a 1/18 scale die cast of that very car. Corvette bronze is awesome.
THANKS. I DO LIKE THE COLOR TOO. IT'T DIFFERENT. MY SON WORKS FOR THE GM RACE SHOP AND BROUGHT HOME A NEW Z06, AND WE TOOK A PICTURE AND THE COLORS ARE CLOSE. THE Z06 WAS JUST A BIT DARKER. RUSS

Here's that same car today - owned/restored by Jerry MacNeish, who races it almost every weekend; he won E/Stock at the 2004 U.S. Nationals with it, runs 10.90's at 128 at full 3400# weight. :D

ChampPic.jpg

:lou

You got it...this is the car John. The only thing that is not as it was in 68/69 is that it ran Cragar SS wheels back then. I was born and grewup in York and did my drag racing at old York US30 Dragway. I did see the car a few years ago at the annual gathering at York. And YES...it is still as great a car as ever. Thanks for the picture.

CORVETTE BRONZE

Here's that same car today - owned/restored by Jerry MacNeish, who races it almost every weekend; he won E/Stock at the 2004 U.S. Nationals with it, runs 10.90's at 128 at full 3400# weight. :D THANKS FOR THE PICTURE JOHN. COOL CAR!! MY CAR HAS A 432CI SMALL BLOCK IN IT WITH A DONOVAN ALUMINUM BLOCK AND 18 DEGREE HEADS. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE SOUND OF A HEALTHY V8. RUSS

ChampPic.jpg

THANKS JOHN. COOL CAR. MY CAR HAS A 432 CI SMALL BLOCK IN IT WITH A DONOVAN ALUMINUM BLOCK AND 18 DEGREE HEADS. NOTHING LIKE A HEALTHY SOUNDING V8. RUSS

Jerry runs a Jerico 4-speed with a 3.28:1 1st gear, and a 5.57 axle - launches at 7500 rpm, and is into second gear well before the 60-foot lights; shifts at 8000, runs 7600 through the traps. :D

This 1968 SS/RS Camaro has the Corvette Bronze "OO" paint code that was the same as the "992" 68 Vette color. Offered only as a special order for the Camaros this one is very unique as GM never produced one in 68 as I have slightly modified this one to be. No Yenkos or Bergers or any other Dealership made one. I started with an original 396/325 unrestored rust free 68 Camaro with factory air and turbo 400 and then installed a new factory crate 1966 Corvette correct sufix code "IP" 427/450 HP engine retaining the factory air and turbo 400. Driving in to the 4.11 12 bolt posi rear this is one of my favorites and a blast to drive. It also sports one of our Black leather interiors which would be another first. Very rare Hands aluminum wheels finished it off. The paint is often referred to as Copper or by some others as Red. Vic Edelbrock also has the same color 68 coupe. A rare color in the Camaro line too.:D

SS427450HP.JPG

This 1968 SS/RS Camaro has the Corvette Bronze "OO" paint code that was the same as the "992" 68 Vette color. Offered only as a special order for the Camaros this one is very unique as GM never produced one in 68 as I have slightly modified this one to be. No Yenkos or Bergers or any other Dealership made one. I started with an original 396/325 unrestored rust free 68 Camaro with factory air and turbo 400 and then installed a new factory crate 1966 Corvette correct sufix code "IP" 427/450 HP engine retaining the factory air and turbo 400. Driving in to the 4.11 12 bolt posi rear this is one of my favorites and a blast to drive. It also sports one of our Black leather interiors which would be another first. Very rare Hands aluminum wheels finished it off. The paint is often referred to as Copper or by some others as Red. Vic Edelbrock also has the same color 68 coupe. A rare color in the Camaro line too.:D Really cool car. Nice job. I'm sure it is fun to drive. My car has a 432ci small block with a Donovan aluminum block and 18 degree heads. Thanks for the reply. Happy Motoring Russ.

SS427450HP.JPG
Really nice car!! Nice job. I'm sure it is fun to drive. My car has a 432ci small block with a Donovan aluminum block and 18 degree heads, 4:11's and a 4 speed. Thanks for the reply. Happy Motoring. Russ

I too knew of a Corvette bronze 68 Z28 with black stripes that my buddy's dad owned about 5 years ago. It was a 60000 mile original but strangely didn't have factory gauges. It was strange to look where the tach should be a see a big gas gauge. Back to the topic, I really liked the color also.

I too knew of a Corvette bronze 68 Z28 with black stripes that my buddy's dad owned about 5 years ago.

Was this car a RS?? I have been wondering where my old car went. I had mounted a Sun tach in mine because it also didn't have the guage package. If that car was an RS and in Virginia it could have been my old Z/28.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom