Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1972 vs. 2002

Which is better? A 1972 or 2002 Corvette?

• 1972 Corvette

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • 2002 Corvette

Votes: 23 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I can say is find a member of this forum in your area that has a 72 and 1 that has a 02. Have them take you for a nice ride and that will help you compare. Now personally I have been fortunate enough 2 own 2 Vettes and driven countless others. That being said I will try and paint you a picture. The 72 is a much more stylish car IMO. It also could be had with the big block 454 and there is nothing sweeter than mashing the go pedal of a Big Block Vette and hearing that big ole QJet Carb sucking down the gas at 10 MPG. The 72 is more of a brute to drive. U drive it and never let your guard down. It is a bit cramped in the interior but it coddles you and invites you to just let er rip. The 72 is defintely the looker and attention getter of the 2. The 02 by comparison is a finesse driver. You can ease it into the corners without hesitation. It out corners the 72 and it out accelerates it too. However it lacks the soul of a sports car instead having the feel of a High Performance GT car ala Ferrari 456 GT. The sounds from a C5 at full bore are muted and not free spirited like the 72. Inside it feels spacious compared to the 72. It is as comfy as your living room couch and makes you wanna just relax and take a brisk drive listening to your favorite CD.

Bottom Line is performance wise the 02 wins hands down. But the 72 has the looks and soul of a champ and that makes it my favorite of the 2.

MoeJr said:
One thing I can say is find a member of this forum in your area that has a 72 and 1 that has a 02. Have them take you for a nice ride and that will help you compare.

you know i would do that but the only probalem with that is out 5 years living in las vegas i have seen maybe a handful C3 vette's...now on the other hand i have seen countless amounts of C4 and C5....i personally know someone who owns a C5 but he would never let me drive his car or even ride it with him......

Everyone,

Last time I did a College Paper, was some time ago; however, I believe that the purpose of those papers is for the student to learn how to illustrate a "balanced" analysis on a topic, so perhaps 1972 Vette owners and 2002 Vette owners can share with Vettegirl the one feature that in your opinion is best about either model.

Surely, there will be certain features that will be very popular and certain ones that won't be so. So as contributors, please don't feel offended if the feature you like the most is very popular or not popular at all.

Hopefully, she'll write the paper, get a good grade on it, and perhaps convince her audience of one point of view over another.

GerryLP:cool

My Dad currently owns a 1999 C5 with the active handling that he bought new. I drive it when ever and where ever I want.

I currently own my Dads 1969 C3 that he bought new, I've been driving this car for nearly about 27 years.

This may as well be a comparson of the '72 vs. '02, there is little difference.

THE '99 C5 Rocks! It looks pretty cool, it doesn't break, (I mean it just doesn't break down ever!) the LS1 sounds cool and can be easily modified, the AC actually works quite well, the brakes should have been better but are adequate, if you lose control the Active Handling takes over. It's a point it and floor it operation, the car just goes where ever I aim it. Any dumb ass (myself included) can drive like Dan Gurney in one.

The '69 C3. It looks really cool, it is very reliable and rarely breaks down, the 350 can sound cool and is easily modified, the AC is crap, the brakes are still good for how long ago they were desinged, if you lose control just kiss your ass good bye 'cuz you are going to crash! If I just point and floor the '69 it would be a death trap, no telling which way the car will go, I've spun out, been through center dividers, into ice plant, spinning into shoulders. If you are going to drive it fast, get some instruction before you attempt corners at high speed, then drink a few cans of red bull and go for it SCARY compared to a new car. I don't recommend speeds over 125MPH in a C3, it just ain't safe.

This is hard to believe, but I don't find the fit, finish or quallity of the '99 to be any better than the '69 (my '69 still has the original door panels and dash, immaculate). Ergonomics really aren't any better in the '99 (the seats do hold you much better though). The '99 does ride smoother and has a few less rattles but it is 30 years newer, only time will tell on that. I think over time the interior of the '99 will not be as tough as the '69, the plastic bits in the '99 seem a little weak. The drive train seems to be tough as nails on both cars.

My '69 will easily out run my Dad's '99 in a straight line and it will draw far more attention at a show. That's where it ends, the C5 is better in every way.

Would I buy a C5 to replace my C3? NO WAY MAN!

The '69 just looks way to cool.

My '69 has a few engine mods so there is some more HP than stock, R134a, gas shocks, modern tires, power brakes (all factory parts). The rest is pretty much stock. The car was originally an L48 Automatic, PS, AC, Positraction car.

Dad's '99 has a (hawk?) custom air intake, custom leather, chrome and billet bits here and there, LS1 Automatic with active handling.

Good luck, I did a paper on the handling charateristics of a B210 vs. a BB512. The teacher didn't believe me that I actually put both cars through tests and failed me. I had to argue my grade up to a B+. Our papers had to be based on an actual test that we had personally conducted.

thank you everyone who has posted something for me...i appreciate it a lot because i signed up to like three or four other forums and i have yet to get a reply back do it kind sucks....but you guys are doing pretty awesome with giving me information....and i will be sure when i get this thing done and graded i will let everyone know what i got on my paper.:D

Always U.A.P said:
For me its the classic lines of the 72.:D

Corvette girl here is a good example of something to consider with you poll. The comment here (above) is "subjective," and there is certainly nothing wrong with the comment itself, but it is an opinion. It has nothing to do with answering the question of which is "better."

To answer that question would involve a unbiased detailed analysis and comparison of both models. Even with this method, I am almost sure one would find some areas where one model was better then the other in some areas, but then the the higher aggregate score between the two should answer the question of "Which is better."

yup i know what you mean...and the people in the C5 section are boring and dull because i have only gotten a handful of responses....

corvette girl said:
yup i know what you mean...and the people in the C5 section are boring and dull because i have only gotten a handful of responses....

Maybe they're all leasors. ;LOL

Thats not very nice 6 shooter. Other Corvette owners have been known to take the Vettes of people whom do not display a friendly attitude or do not wave at other Vettes.

:bar

corvette girl said:

I counted 14 responses from C5 owners in this thread.

6 shooter I was joking. I should have put a smiley in.

67HEAVEN said:
Okay. Sorry Mom. ;)

haha....i just don't want to create any argument...that's not what this is about......this is about helping a young girl out with a research paper....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom