Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1973 Front bumper issue

Oynch

Corvette
1973 Corvette roadster
I wish to purchase a new bumper for my '73. I've purchased a TruFlex bumper and it won't fit due to it's sizing. I asked around and I've got the impression that I must remove the front impact bar in order to install a bumper (TruFlex or otherwise). Is this true? I'm no expert, but I am not thrilled with the idea of removing a vital part of the bumper just to fit an ill-designed TruFlex or fiberglass bumper. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill here or is there a bumper I can purchase that is designed correctly and fits over the standard impact bar?

Welcome To The CAC

I agree. Removing your impact bar to install a new bumper cover doesn't sound like a good idea. I've never installed anything other than GM front bumpers but I would think an aftermarket bumper should fit as original or there is a problem with the bumper. I put Eckler's fiberglass on the rear of a '74 once and they fit perfectly without any modifications. They looked great too without any waves or wrinkles.

Tom

1973 front bumper issue

I agree. Removing your impact bar to install a new bumper cover doesn't sound like a good idea. I've never installed anything other than GM front bumpers but I would think an aftermarket bumper should fit as original or there is a problem with the bumper. I put Eckler's fiberglass on the rear of a '74 once and they fit perfectly without any modifications. They looked great too without any waves or wrinkles.

Tom
I had to replace my 73 front bumper cover. It was literally falling apart while driving. I just broke off all the chunks by hand and removed the metal strip that bolts to the bumper bar. I bought a new install kit. I got my bumper in Ohio, it cost $500, not Tru Flex. I think, wow I paid way to much from seeing cheaper ones. But boy I'm glad I paid the extra money, the body shop put it on for me and near perfect fit. My car is 914 silver, so that didn't match great, but they didn't match in 1973. I'm very pleased with my new fiberglass bumper cover.

The originals were urethane and very flexible to handle the fitment issues these cars had. No two were alike and the originals worked very well until they got old and ultraviolet rays killed them. When we bought our 75 12 years ago the original bumpers looked great but 3 months in summer sun they cracked and fell apart- very common problem. The aftermarket glass bumpers have to be fit, sometimes reglassed to the car. It's not typically a simple bolt on part. Originals are long gone now but if you can find one they work the best but how long will they last???

The originals were urethane and very flexible to handle the fitment issues these cars had. No two were alike and the originals worked very well until they got old and ultraviolet rays killed them. When we bought our 75 12 years ago the original bumpers looked great but 3 months in summer sun they cracked and fell apart- very common problem. The aftermarket glass bumpers have to be fit, sometimes reglassed to the car. It's not typically a simple bolt on part. Originals are long gone now but if you can find one they work the best but how long will they last???

I agree the originals looked great and that was the technology at the time, but once I started driving my 73, it sat 25 years in a New Jersey garage on a custom made wooden stand, it started falling apart. The guy who did some engine work on my car pulled off a piece one day and then it just fell to shreds. I believe in "you get what you pay for" and bought the $500 fiberglass replacement. The body shop that installed it, did not need to use any filler. It fits near perfect, I am extremely happy with the quality and fit. They had it on and off the car twice to make it fit I believe and then to paint.

Yes sounds like what happened to our 75's front and rear bumpers. We didn't have to glass ours but clearly you could where one side fit much better then the other. Since it was a street/strip car it didn't really matter and they were great until a pizza kid ran a stop sign and totaled the car. We parted it out and the rear bumper was sold. The front destroyed.

Yes sounds like what happened to our 75's front and rear bumpers. We didn't have to glass ours but clearly you could where one side fit much better then the other. Since it was a street/strip car it didn't really matter and they were great until a pizza kid ran a stop sign and totaled the car. We parted it out and the rear bumper was sold. The front destroyed.

I had a 71 big block air coupe 42 years ago. I miss that car, Brands Hatch Green, never should have sold it. Of course, I drove it all the time without worrying about some moron texting crashing into it.

Now, when I drive my 73 coupe, far from a show car, I am nervous and drive very defensively. It is sad that some idiot totaled your car. Funny, my 1969 and 1970 GTOs didn't have any bumper issues, but they not just a cover like our beloved C3s. The Endura was attached to the metal frame structure. Very heavy. Carried one of them by hand out of the rear lot of Spring Carlisle in like 1990. Weighs a ton. The company I got my 73 cover from is in Ohio. Sorry, I cannot remember the name. I bought it about a year ago. If you send me an email address I will gladly send you a photo of the fit. I am not very computer literate, so I do not know how to attach a pic here. Sorry. I'm old.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom