Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1974 Delco Radio Question

Nobody Cares

Corvette
red 81, orange 74 vert. , 80 claret,69 chevy pu
Would anyone have an idea what could be wrong with the original radio in my 74 vert? It powers up , light comes on but only a little crackel noise comes out of the speaker. The car had a aftermarket radio in it when i bought it. The original radio was in the compartment box behind the seat. Just had the car painted and am about ready to reinstal the interior. I want to put the original radio back in. Any tips out there as too what might be the problem. Or is there any tips where i could send the radio for a repair? I live in Michigan , but would ship the radio out if i could find out who does good delco radio repair. Thnx Dave

:w

Since the car had an aftermarket modern radio in it, check the speakers. The old radios require speakers of a different impedance value (ohms) than the new radios. Whoever put the new radio in the car should have also put new speakers in it.

Thnx, I had taken the radio up to a local auto Radio shop in town . They were the ones that tested the radio and could only get a few crackle sounds out the speakers in there shop . They did not have the knowledge to do the work on a older radio. Dave:w

These are two part units. You have to have a convector assembly to make them work. The AIM shows the convector and how it mounts. My guess is your original convector might have been left up under the dash when the PO changed to the aftermarket stereo. If it's there, you're in luck.

:)

Thnx . Is there a convector for the mono units?? Thnx Dave

One for monaural; two for stereo, ganged together. They pop up on ebay. They look like a big heat sink with a capacitor (I think it's a capacitor) in the middle of it.

Go to the Parts for Sale section. A member has a '76 unit for sale. The picture shows the convector.
:)

Thnx Mike, I'll check it out . Car is still at the painters. Paint is done now gettin ready to install the interior. Will check the radio situation out when i get over there. Thnx Dave :w

:boogie

Hi Dave. What did you figure out about the radio. I'd like to keeo mine original but my speakers are pooched. Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben. I took the aftermarket radio out and installed the original radio. It was in the rear compartment when i bought the car. Took the kick panel speakers out and dicarded them. The convector was up in the dash (which i didn't find till after i bought another one on ebay). Bought new speaker to radio harness and hooked all wires up like when it left the factory and the radio plays great (for a 74 am fm radio). Bought the wire harness from Lectric Limited, Inc.#708 563 0400. I had good front dash speakers so i used the original. If any more questions i would be glad to help , if i can. Dave :upthumbs
ORANGEVETTE74CONSOLEDONE7-14-07015.jpg

CORVETTEORANGE6-14-07JUSTGOTBACKPAS.jpg

$2500.00. Thats was with me helping out as much as i could. The painter is a friend of mine. Car was completly taken apart and painted. Dave :w

check spkr to reciever connections L-1+1- R 1+1- Red constant hot to bat. blk to gnd, Yel or orang. switched on power (comes on when you turn key on) its a very simple operation, any questions I'll be more than happy to lead you through it.

check spkr to reciever connections L-1+1- R 1+1- Red constant hot to bat. blk to gnd, Yel or orang. switched on power (comes on when you turn key on) its a very simple operation, any questions I'll be more than happy to lead you through it.
guess I'm a little late .

Hi Ben, Ithink Paragon here in Michigan can supply you with original style front speaker's if yours are bad. Is the convector good?? Dave :beer

Ben , this is what the convector looks like from my 74 vette. It is am fm mono not a stereo. If you have a stereo unit it will have 2 of the round parts that is in the middle, where mine has one. I'm no wiz at this stuff but i did get mine working. This part is mounted to the right of the radio (passenger side) behind the dash.There will be a plug that come's out at the back of the radio that it plugs into. Dave :beer
DAVEPARTFORVETTE007.jpg

:boogie:boogie:boogie:bar

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom