Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1976 radiator

V

vetteengnr

After pulling off the remains of the worst bubba job of a radiator shroud this weekend, I found the culprit of my dripping coolant. All down the left side of my radiator I have white corrosion with small pinholes of coolant spraying out.

I have a few questions for those that are "in the know":

1) 1976 has two different radiator shroud options - early and late. If I purchase a 1977 radiator (I'm looking at the $175 option from radiator barn) and use the late model 1976 from ecklers will I be good?

2) I saw one previous post that radiator barn was good, can I get a 2nd opinion?

3) I've seen posts on replacing the radiator, which seems easy enough. I've not seen any advice or instruction on shroud installation. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Thanks for any advice or information you may have,
Brad

The best $100.00 I have spent yet in my 5 years of ownership of my vette was yanking the radiator shroud and mechanical fan and clutch and installing an electric fan. For less than the cost of a replacement shroud from Ecklers, you can probably find an electric 16" fan and wiring harness. I now have so much room in my engine bay in which to work on the engine. I will never install another fan shroud as long as I own this vette.

Another reason to go with an electric fan is power. I dynoed my car with and without the mechanical fan. By removing the mechanical fan I picked up 15 hp and 12 lb-ft of torque. That is a lot of power for $100.00.

Just wanted to offer my usually worthless opinions for your consideration before you spend the money on a replacement shroud. Also, I picked up a new heavyduty 4 row radiator off ebay for $130.00 recently.

do some home work before you buy from Ecklers there are cheaper places.
tom

vetteengnr said:
After pulling off the remains of the worst bubba job of a radiator shroud this weekend, I found the culprit of my dripping coolant. All down the left side of my radiator I have white corrosion with small pinholes of coolant spraying out.

I have a few questions for those that are "in the know":

1) 1976 has two different radiator shroud options - early and late. If I purchase a 1977 radiator (I'm looking at the $175 option from radiator barn) and use the late model 1976 from ecklers will I be good?

2) I saw one previous post that radiator barn was good, can I get a 2nd opinion?

3) I've seen posts on replacing the radiator, which seems easy enough. I've not seen any advice or instruction on shroud installation. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Thanks for any advice or information you may have,
Brad

Brad:
At least Two rads here. I’ll make the leap that yours has automatic trans with trans cooler in rad. If so, you need to look and see if your BOTTOM trans line connection at radiator is BELOW the LOWER radiator hose outlet. If trans line is below the coolant outlet … then you have the earlier and WIDER rad # 478.

On the later and NARROWER #717 and #718 rads, the BOTTOM trans line is ABOVE the LOWER rad hose outlet.

WIDE 478 core measures about 27 ½” between tanks and have about 12” between U&L trans fittings and has 4-rows. Lower trans fitting is below outlet.

717 has 3-row core
718 has 4-row core
NARROW 717 & 718 cores measure about 26 3/8” between tanks and have about 8 ½” between U&L trans fittings. Lower trans fittings are above outlet.

Shop around. Be informed … the under $200 direct replacement type rads are usually OK … but at such prices be aware most are of Taiwan manufacture.

There’s probably at least one wholesale auto body parts supplier in your area. Look in yellow pages. Not your typical parts house … not a vette store either ... these specialize in NEW aftermarket sheetmetal, rads, bumpers for collision repair ... most of it from offshore. Fair prices there would be about $120 for 717 & $150 for 718. G’luck.
JACK:gap

Thanks for the info thusfar!!

"Fair prices there would be about $120 for 717 & $150 for 718" How about aluminum?

I've been seriously considering removing the mechanical fan and going the electrical fan route. I've heard that GM has a few factory produced cars that have a dual electric fan that can be adapted for such a purpose. Anyone have more specific details (Cars, good fan setups, etc..)?

There was a thread not to long ago that I started about electric fan on a C3.
There was a lot good information there. If you do not care about being stock;
Iwould go with the Electirc fans. From what I learned from the post on the topic the twin 14" fans are the best. If you check on E bay you can find some good buys on them there.

Think about what it is you want and then check out all possiblities. Be informed ahead on time can save you a lot of money and time in the long run.
Well that's my .02 worth.

Gary

Well the griffin direct fit aluminum is on the way!! I'm still eyeing what electric fan setup I'd like to go with. Any opinions on the dual fan vs 16" single fan setup? I'm going to have a perfectly usable fan clutch and blade removed from the car. These go for big $$$ in some catalogues, let me know if you need them. Brad

80Convertible -

Could you post some pictures of what you did? Sounds like soemthing I would like to try!

Stephen

I have been using a single flexilite "black majic" universal with no problems its rated at 2800 cfm and was $200 from summit pt # flx-150

Over the a/c condenser there is an opening the directs air between the condenser and the radiator--should this be blocked or left open? I'm not talking about over the radiator itself--I know that one should be blocked.

78 L82 4spd said:
80Convertible -

Could you post some pictures of what you did? Sounds like soemthing I would like to try!

Stephen

I don't have any pics at the moments, however, if you are interested in the details shoot my an email and I will respond. The install was very easy using aluminum from Home Depot to make the mount. Throw in a Painless Wiring harness and your are done.

80Convertible -

Thanks! I will do that.

Stephen

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom