Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1977 'Buying' question........

NewVetter

Hi guys,
Looked at a 1977 today, drove it. Nice cars these vettes, :>) Was wondering if there is one BIG/common thing to ask about the 77. Example, I had an old 1972 Porsche 914 and 914's Big problem was battery acid would leak onto the back passenger side frame causing it to corrode badly. Does a 1977 have one BIG glaring thing like that, that I should ask of a seller? Like "oh the 1977 was notorious for......"? Any top 2 or 3 Q:s to ask would be helpful since will be 1st Vette. (I know about cars/engines and such just not Vette specific things.) THANKS so much for any info. Best regards.

Nothing other than rust concerns. Check the frame in the area of the kick up in front of the rear wheels. Also check the windshield frame and cowl area. The C3 had been in production for ten years by the '77 model so most all of the "issues" had been resolved by then.

tom...

Cool Tom, thx... yes like the 77 since was last mod. yr and figured many most bugs worked through. Was really fun 'shifting' again, that 4spd with the albeit small, 180hp L48. Plenty of pwr vs my Mazda 4cyl SUV. Thx for advice, regards.

NewVetter said:
Cool Tom, thx... yes like the 77 since was last mod. yr and figured many most bugs worked through. Was really fun 'shifting' again, that 4spd with the albeit small, 180hp L48. Plenty of pwr vs my Mazda 4cyl SUV. Thx for advice, regards.
A '77 was the first corvette I ever drove. It beloinged to my cousin who bought it new, and let me take it for a spin - with him in it of course. I had no idea that hp had been decreased to ~220 in the L82's back then, and I wouldn't have believed it if you told me. I had just parked my VW beetle and hopped into the vette, and damn, was I ever impressed. I never drove anything anywhere near as fun as that car until I got mine.
Buy it, and enjoy it! -John

JJS yup, it's the smooth power of a V8... my brother had a 1968 427/435hp 4spd way back when. a TRUE neck snapper... oh how he AND I wish he kept it, mucho $$ today. Yes, will end up w/a 77 and post when I DO get it. Can't wait to give you guys a "cyber" vette wave!!! :>) Chat soon.

a big thing to check is the lower a-arm mounting brackets. they have not so good welds holding them on. lets just say most of the frame guys were monday morning and friday afternoon production dudes. the brackets are strong, they just just break the welds and come off the frame, easily re-welded back on but a point of interest. also scope your front differential mount, especially with a manual tranny. the bushing usually goes bye-bye. Energy-suspension sells a kit complete poly bushing for the C3's and it runs about $150 from Summit racing. it's a nice upgrade if your stock bushings are smoked. then again, there is a huge world of mods that can be done to make that car scream and pin your head to rear glass.

See if the weather strip has been done - not cheap and loads of it. Brake calipers all leads - stainless steel upgrades are usually needed. Rear main seal leaks...make sure tach works. Rear spring sags...

These are great, great cars - I have a 1978 and it is endless fun to tinker, tune and drive...

77 was my first vette. I had it for almost 15 years. Reliable and easy to work on. Last of the flat window. Easy to modify...i.e midrange cam and phase 2 shift kit made a huge difference.

If the price is right and the frame is solid forfor it.

Jim

Thx for everyones replies! Well I bought an 82... has 34.5k orig mi. Looks exceptionally nice, that steel blue with gray int. Is there a way to tell what factory options this car came with? i.e. some build sheet type number hidden anywhere on the car? Has AC, rear def, tilt/tele, mirrored roofs, pwr w/l/m/drv seat, cruise.... Will now be fixing some of the little things like int parts, weatherstriping, etc... regards:>)

Great choice and it sounds like a great car - have fun and enjoy! Black book is a great source and the resource room on the forum is helpful too...

NewVetter said:
Is there a way to tell what factory options this car came with? i.e. some build sheet type number hidden anywhere on the car?

Build sheets can be in any number of places. I am not sure if it varies by year. I found mine in the dash between the speedo and tach. But I don't think you need it.

I think all you need is the VIN because GM kept the records for all the Corvettes made in Kentucky (starting in 1981 IIRC). Check out this link: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/infosearch/index.php?cmd=advert

Many people find the build sheet over top of the gas tank.

Congrats on the 82! Will we see you at the Gate CIty Vette show at the Bud Brewery on the 28th? I plan to stop in for a visit and I know some CACers who will be there.

I got copies of the build sheets and the window sticker from the NCM:
https://store.corvettemuseum.com/services/buildsheet.asp

I used to be 82-Guy here on the CAC since I had a couple.

:w
Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom