Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1977 corvette -Tires

irongate

Corvette
1977 Orange Coupe L-48 auto. -stock
New to this Forum , Just purchase a 77 orange L-48 ,auto Corvette with 56990 miles on it. The tire were put on in 82 plenty of tread on them, what tire pressure would be good for running them.
also Battery was replace back in 94, everything is good on it-should I replace it?

Paint is very nice on it.

What would be a good muffler system to install on it? As it needs to be replaced.
Dynomax Exhaust is this a good one?

Thank You all.

Replace the tires, they are way too old. Anything over 8-10 years needs to not be driven on.

Replace the battery, test it first if you want to but a 1994 battery will have o reserve capacity.

Thank You, yes I would agree on the tires. ? what would be a good tire for this?
And what size battery does that call for?
Would you suggest replacing the shocks also and what kind?

The two owners before me kept all the records of what has been done to it, even when the first owner bought it at the factor where he worked at.

Thank You for time and help.

Last edited:
The tires now are BF Goodrich Radial T/A P235/60R15
Question is is this a good size to run for this car?

Thank You.

Last edited:
Welcome to CAC!!!!!
enjoy!!!
the tire size on the vette now is a good size.
double check your exhaust.it may look rougher than it really is.
I have an '81 and as far as I know,is original,except for the magnaflow mufflers.

any more questions don't hesitate to ask!!!!

Welcome to CAC!!!!!
enjoy!!!
the tire size on the vette now is a good size.
double check your exhaust.it may look rougher than it really is.
I have an '81 and as far as I know,is original,except for the magnaflow mufflers.

any more questions don't hesitate to ask!!!!

Thank You

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center

I agree that your tires are way too old to trust on the highway. A blown tire equals massive fiberglass damage. I keep mine stock with Radial T/A 225/70R15 but 235/60 should be close to the same diameter. Download a free GPS speedometer app on your cell phone and verify your speed with the speedo to be sure your diameter is right on. If your speedo reads faster then your tire is too small in diameter and vice versa.

I replaced the original shocks on my wife's '81 that she bought new with these Delco Performer shocks last year and I couldn't be happier. The ride is way improved and the handling and road feel is also much improved. Shock technology has improved greatly since these cars were new and these shocks really make a different car out of it without over spending on high end performance shocks that ultimately require other mods to fully realize their potential.

I'd stick with a Delco battery in the size recommended in your owner's manual. Over the years I have always been very satisfied with them and got good life. I keep a battery tender on them in the winter when it sits. That does make a difference.

Tom

Tom Thank You.
Have new tires coming soon, went with 235 instead of the 225 in the BFG ones.
The list is there for new parts, trying to keep it stock as much as possible. It will take some time for it to come together like I want it.
The corvette world is new to me, but have had other cars and trucks and now a 2012 jeep unlimited-that the list is long to what I have done to it.
Take it nice and slow and do it right!

One more thing. Menards sells the same Delco batteries usually for less than auto parts stores or dealers.

Tom

Tom Thank You for that note, we have two of those stores here in Rochester.

New 235's on it now BF one's. nice ride now.

Next item is exhaust.

When I put the new BFG T/A's on the '81 a couple of years ago they felt funny on the drive home but after about a hundred miles they seems to run in and I really like them now. Got a four wheel alignment at the same time.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0622[1].jpg
    IMG_0622[1].jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0620[1].jpg
    IMG_0620[1].jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 141

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom