Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1978 Barn Find

Molampp

Corvette
1978 25th Anniversary, Indianapolis Pace Car Edition
Found a 1978 25th Edition, Indianapolis Pace Car edition. 4 miles on the odometer, plastic still on the seats, the logo graphics still in the box and never put on the car. It has been sitting for several decades. Need a source for the best price on the correct Goodyear tires? Also, going to pull the gas tank and clean it, put back non-ethanol. I was briefly cranked, Oil and original anti freeze look new. Needs a really good cleaning. Any advice would be appreciated, have not restored a Corvette (restored BMW, Mercedes and a Delorean).

I don't plan on ever driving the car, as it has not ever been on the road. Instead of new tires, would it be possible to put tubes in the existing tires (they are dry rotted, but hold air for a couple of days).

Last edited:
Check Coker tires. They reproduce original tires and this is where we got them for our 2 pace cars.

If you have the original tires on the car they need to be replaced. Putting tubes in them are just a Band-Aid and if one of them blows out even if you're driving it down the block it could take the wheel well with it.

Attachments

• bzc7gi9L9K24XXhFrdKgVvu1w-mCha++0300.jpg
    bzc7gi9L9K24XXhFrdKgVvu1w-mCha++0300.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 28
  • aRqdIf5vRXQPhWaxCKVBsF8rogTwGnt90300.jpg
    aRqdIf5vRXQPhWaxCKVBsF8rogTwGnt90300.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 28
Check Coker tires. They reproduce original tires and this is where we got them for our 2 pace cars.

If you have the original tires on the car they need to be replaced. Putting tubes in them are just a Band-Aid and if one of them blows out even if you're driving it down the block it could take the wheel well with it.
Thanks for the help, my logic is that I am never going to drive this car with 4 miles on it, and really just going to get it to a point where it runs and looks good, then sell it. Would the tubes be a reasonable solution with that in mind?

No that is not a solution. The only reasonable solution is to get replacement tires for the car. If not you're just making it dangerous for the next owner.

Last edited:
I'd be worried about a tire blowing out and taking out a piece of fender; even sitting still in the garage. That would be catastrophic on a car like that. I know the repop tires are expensive but it's a safe way to protect the car. Keep the original tires to go with the car when you sell it. Also the original battery if it's still there.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom