Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1979 VIN and Engine # off by one number?

K

ktullos

Did the plant ever (late modle 1979 L82) put the Vin # and the engine # out of sequence by just one number? ie vin**49s453122 and block**49s453121? ADD Will this increase or decrease the value of this car? Also is it considered a # matching car?

Yup. It's rare but it's been seen before. The guy with the stamp forgot to change the number from the car before and the inspector didn't catch it either.

What would this do to it's value, up or down?

...What would this do to it's value, up or down?...

Probably nothing. You might find a potential buyer who would be interested in an assembly line quirk of this nature. It would be interesting to determine what number stamped on the frame. I'm guessing it's the same as the number on the engine since the same worker stamped engine, frame, and tranny.

:)

I plan to have it on a rack this week. Please help me to locate where these # are on the Tranny and Frame! Thank's, Kent Tullos

Assembly Instruction Manual will show where the tranny is stamped; varied between four speed and AT. The frame stamps are on the top of the rail, driver's side. First is about where you billfold would be if you were sitting in the car. The number cannot be seen with the body on the frame. Second stamp is on the top of the frame rail just in front of the #4 body mount as shown.

frame_vin.gif

FWIW: this sample is the absolute best example of the stamp in front of #4 mount I've ever seen. White chalk in this one to highlight the number. By far, most of these stamps are much less legible than this one and you will be lucky if you find one in this good of shape.

I'm guessing it's the same as the number on the engine since the same worker stamped engine, frame, and tranny.

The engine and transmission VIN derivatives were stamped by hand on the Engine Dress Line (photo of gang holder below), and the frame was stamped with an overhead-suspended pneumatic tool on the Chassis Line. :)

Thanks, Great Info. Any comments about if this will be a numbers matching car??

It was either operator error or, a job was pulled out of sequence. The operator may have not been notified. The supervisors fault. Last it should have been picked up by the inspector. This happened quite a bit back in the day. Most of the time it was held up in the paint dept,for paint repair.A Numbers matching car? Obviously no. It is what it is. Enjoy what you have.
It also should have been picked up at the dealer also. And could have been documented as such. Looks like the ball was dropped several times. Long, long time ago engine numbers were on the titles. And if the engine was changed it had to be documented on the title.

Numbers matching? No. Just make sure the VIN on the dashboard matches the VIN on the title.

Thanks, Great Info. Any comments about if this will be a numbers matching car??

Given that 'numbers matching' is now pretty much meaningless terminology, who cares?

I think you could state with certainty that this car has something much better and more valuable- it's original engine. :beer

Thanks! New to the Corvette world. I have learned alot at this site.
Kent Tullos

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom