Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1980 Corvette catalytic converter

rayman1105

Corvette
1980 L48 Silver
Can anyone tell me if you can eliminate the catalytic converter on the l48 without having a performance problem ?

some states require it 'on the vehicle' if it was manufactured with it...

catalytic converter

Thanks for the feedback. I live in upstate NY and I think I can replace it with a test pipe and still get it to pass state inspection. My concern was if for some reason it would negatively effect the performance.

It will depend on who inspects it...if you have a your regular mechanic or inspection station do it ....probably...some one you don't know... Probably not....

smog stuff

do check your local laws for smog equipment and test rules..If your state or county has provision for older cars or collector cars that make them exempt..yippee..you can consider to get rid of the stuff..all of it !! Sometimes the "collector" or classic category has some driving restrictions..ie max mileage or type of use..but if you have other cars as daily drivers..then usually ok. Save it all for later tho. On my 81, no smog equip, no catalytic, and installed Edelbrock cam, intake and carb, new tune specs. Next will be headers..and it will breathe the way it should.
Nick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom