Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 Corvette Front Dash Speakers:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
The dash seakers are suppose to be a 4x6 " plate type speaker. Someone told me that you could make a 5.25" component speaker work in it's place. The 5.25 should have better sound quality and a higher RMS.
Does anyone know if this is true, will the 5.25" fit. Has anyone done this? ;help

I just did the dash speakers in my 81 last night....I don't see how anything but the 4X6 would fit without cutting the dash.....

I'm not sure there's enought room for anything bigger than the stock size without modification. Even then, it would be very tight.

The dash seakers are suppose to be a 4x6 " plate type speaker. Someone told me that you could make a 5.25" component speaker work in it's place. The 5.25 should have better sound quality and a higher RMS.
Does anyone know if this is true, will the 5.25" fit. Has anyone done this? ;help
I don't see why you would want to use the 5.25. A good set of 4x6's will sound great, and it's at least worth it to try using 4x6s before cutting your dash. If you don't like the 4x6s you can always return them.

I'm planning on replacing my stock dash speakers this month with a set of Polk DB461Ps.

Amazon has them for $60.

I don't see why you would want to use the 5.25. A good set of 4x6's will sound great, and it's at least worth it to try using 4x6s before cutting your dash. If you don't like the 4x6s you can always return them.

I'm planning on replacing my stock dash speakers this month with a set of Polk DB461Ps.

Amazon has them for $60.

You are right. I had already decided to go with a pair of 4x6's, Boston Acoustics 746. For the rear 6x9's I'm going with a pair of Focal 690 CA1. My head unit will be a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994. I going to install this in the glove box. I want to leave the orignal in the dash, besides I think a new unit with all of the bells and whistles that this Kenwood has would look out of place in the dash. The amp I'm going with is a JL XD400/4. I am going to put that in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat.
The Polk 4x6's you picked out looks like they will be some good speakers. They should sound great.
I can't wait to hear it all. I just ordered everthing yesterday. :w

You may want to hunt down a reproduction glove box insert before cutting into the original. It seems like an easy to find part, but a quick search on mid america, zip, and wilcox came up empty.

I just did a system in my car, and found a couple of things. First, fitting modern 6X9's in the factory spot didn't work for me. The new speakers were to deep and the magnets were to big to fit in the original holes. Second, since I carry a few things in my storage compartment and the jack is under it, that wasn't an option for either the amp or the sub, which was an entirely differnet issue, finding a place for it, that had the space the speaker needs. And then the head unit. Like you, I didn't want something that was completely out of place and considered the glove box option, but I use that too.

I went with a Pioneer system. I used the DEH-P410UB head, the TS A4672R 4X6 3 way speakers for the dash, the TS A943P 6X9 4 way's for the back, a Kicker Comp VT8 subwoofer and a Kicker ZX300.1 amp. The amp is only for the subwoofer.

Here's what I ended up with. I keep my iPod in the glove box now too..

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02570.jpg

DSC02572.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

Hopefully, this gives you some ideas that will help!!

I just did a system in my car, and found a couple of things. First, fitting modern 6X9's in the factory spot didn't work for me. The new speakers were to deep and the magnets were to big to fit in the original holes. Second, since I carry a few things in my storage compartment and the jack is under it, that wasn't an option for either the amp or the sub, which was an entirely differnet issue, finding a place for it, that had the space the speaker needs. And then the head unit. Like you, I didn't want something that was completely out of place and considered the glove box option, but I use that too.

I went with a Pioneer system. I used the DEH-P410UB head, the TS A4672R 4X6 3 way speakers for the dash, the TS A943P 6X9 4 way's for the back, a Kicker Comp VT8 subwoofer and a Kicker ZX300.1 amp. The amp is only for the subwoofer.

Here's what I ended up with. I keep my iPod in the glove box now too..

It all looks really good. Is your 6x9 boxes enclosed in the back, or is the back the carpet and the 6x9 holes. I still need to build mine, but nor certain if I should enclose all are let the back of the car/carpet be the back??
Thanks, :w

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02570.jpg

DSC02572.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

Hopefully, this gives you some ideas that will help!!
It all looks really good. Is your 6x9 boxes enclosed in the back, or is the back the carpet and the 6x9 holes. I still need to build mine, but nor certain if I should enclose all are let the back of the car/carpet be the back??
Thanks, :w

Thanks for the compliment!! The enclosures for the 6X9's are open in the back. I used foam "buckets" that issolate the speakers instead of closing them. You can get the buckets from any shop that does installations, they're cheap, the place I got my equipment from gave them to me. It saves a bunch of work, and as you've seen you can't see the back of the enclosure anyway!!:)

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what you mean or what you are calling foam buckets??

Thanks again. So you just buy one for a 6x9 and put it behind the speakers inside of the box??
Did you buy a new Bezel, or cut your original?? They want almost $200.00 for one that will fit a aftermarket stereo. Another reason I'm leaning toward the glove box.
Thanks,

I did. I used the "buckets" behind the 6x9's.

I cut my bezel. I looked at it this way, I could spend the money and buy one pre-cut, or if and when the time comes to sell the car, let the new owner decide if they want the sound system or not. If not, I'll knock the $200 off the price or add it depending on the conversation. I've also kept the stock radio, speakers and connectors, just in case...

Let us know what you do and post pics!! :)

Ever look at Custom Auto Sound units? They drop right in w/o cutting anything and have preouts and ins for most any accessory.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom