Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 Corvette lower diff carrier bushing removal...

zackm58941

Corvette
1980 Corvette
Hi everyone, I have been noticing a "bumping" noise from the rear of my car lately and come to find out the the lower differential bushing is totaly rotted away. This was cause by diff lube lekaing from the pinion seal but I dont have the $$$ to mess with the diff right now and want to do the "quick" repair. I know it not right but I'll do it right some other time... Anywho, when I tried to get the bushing out I took the main drive shaft out, took the front bolt holding the front part of the differential out and thought I could use a pry bar to remove the remains, not even close! I wish it was the older style which was a 2 piece design, not a single cast piece like my 80' but what all is nessicary to get enough room to take the old bushing out and install a NEW (whole) bushing? It looks like I have the unbolt the leaf spring, take out 1/2 shafts and maybe just loosen the 3 bolts holding the leaf spring the the differential just enough to get some more clearance. I would make reference marks to make sure it sits back where it did but has anyone else found an eaiser way? Please let me know, I'm in no rush but just trying to get more info on the subject at hand.

Thanks everyone!
Zachary

:w Zachary

Take a look at this Thread ;) it may provide some help.

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom