Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1980 - Power Steering

C3x2

Corvette
1980 Blue/Bue & 1981 Cream/Camel
I've got a 1980 with power steering leak. Wondering if it is possible to get rid of power steering altogether and put in a performance manual steering box?
What would I need?? Where would I get it??
.... pros and cons???

Tired of leaky power steering stuff.

Thanks.

:welcome

I can't remember the name (somebody else here probably can) but I think someone makes a rack & pinion conversion.

I think evo put steeroids in his '80

All you have to do is change the center link to one from a non power steering car.The steering box is the same for both.Companies are selling the GM600 series steering boxes for Corvettes now that will get rid of the troublesome control valve.

What center link would work? and are you telling me to keep my power steering but by changing out the center link I eliminate the power steering control valve and the power steering cylinder? If I can keep power steering but eliminate numerous leaks that will work. I'm checking into the GM600 you mentioned.
Any help would be great - I don't know why GM decided to put a power steering control valve, cylinder and 4 hoses to steer a car...when normal power steering always seemed to work just fine.

Sorry,i should have been more clear.If you want to change fron PS to non PS all that is required is a change to a non PS center link.Then just remove the pump,control valve, and cylinder and you have a non PS car.The steering box is the same for both.

Corvette Central has the 600 box in their newest catalog but the $999.00 price is outragous.(Its only around $300.00 for the same box for a Nova).Many people here on the forum have the Steeroids rack and pinion and love it,i'm just tring to find an alternative to power steering that doesn't cost $1200.00.

It's a shame that GM made us live with 1950's power steering technology throughout the C3 era and never "updated" the PS for our generation.

I think the cylinder setup is more aptly called power assist and gives a little more road feel than the GM power steering used during the 60s & 70s. I do know that manual steering at lower speeds is a handful, especially w/ a big block.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom