Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 vette Vs 1980 Z28 engine spec

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
I just got a 1980 camaro Z28 the other day with the original motor etc. I noticed after pulling the engine apart the heads are the same 264624 heads as the vette with the same valve size (typical 80's cylinder head) cam measures about the same as my 80 vette also with about 400-420 lift.
The only difference i could find was the intake on the vette is aluminum.

Was there any difference? the camaro spec was 190 HP not sure what the vette was in 1980.
just curious, the vette is much faster and the motor has twice the miles as the camaro. Rear end gear is about all i can figure. both have 400 trans and stock quadra junk
;shrug

I have no idea what the '80 Z28 ran, but the L-48 base engine in the '80 Corvette was 190hp; optional L-82 was 230hp.

If your Camaro is running two-bolt mains, it's probably the L-48. All Corvette L-82s had four-bolt mains.

:)

I'd bet they're identical except for the intake material, distributor part number, and exhaust manifolds. Lots of info on 1970-1981 Camaros at www.nastyz28.com . :)

And I'd bet that the difference in the Vette being faster is the hp to weight ratio. JMO:)

I have no idea what the '80 Z28 ran, but the L-48 base engine in the '80 Corvette was 190hp; optional L-82 was 230hp.

If your Camaro is running two-bolt mains, it's probably the L-48. All Corvette L-82s had four-bolt mains.

:)

..... outta high-school, a buddy bought a left-over '78 Z28, I bought a brand-new '79, and a year later, another buddy from school got himself an '80:
although it's been almost 30 years now, I recall the '78/'79 being designated as 'LM-1', and while I believe the '80 motor is identical, it got a rear-facing functional hood-scoop, raising the HP 15 from '79, possibly changing it's alpha/numeric code.
;shrug

'78 & '79 automatic Z-cars received THM350s (I'm told the few '77 1/2 Z28, re-introduced midway through the '77 model-run ) may've gotten some left-over THM400s, but I never confirmed this:
I think my buddy's '80 had the THM350-C (lock-up TQ-converter ) version, for meeting stricter mileage requirements.
:eek:hnoes

'77 1/2 through '79 Z28s with automatics had 3.42:1 rear-gears (Positraction was an option that mine came without ), while stick-shift cars had 3.73s:
again, the '80/'81 Z28s may've received taller-gearing for mileage concerns.
:chuckle

By '81, all 3 motors had been 'modified', and as best we could tell, the LM-1 was no different than the L-48 (which we had also tinkered with ), except for the Corvette's aluminum intake, and a few miscellaneous part-numbers being different (had-to somehow justify the price to the Corvette-guys back-then )
:ugh

30 years later, all 3 of us still own our Z28s..... here is mine, which now runs high-12s at 105+ MPH -

2d912746.jpg

Hmmm well heres what i have noticed so far..

The camaro has a 2 bolt main, as did my 79' z28 i had a few years ago.
Both camaros have the 462624 heads and 1.95" intake valve and 1.5" exhaust. I assume thats what the 80 vette has. I also noticed while dig'n through my garage yesterday that i had another set of early 80's camaro heads that were 624 head cast # also, but had the smaller intake valve of 1.7". So the 462624 heads were offered in 2 valve sizes. I always thought the smaller valve head was a truck head, but i guess not. Pretty sure they were off of an early 80's camaro. So maybe the smaller valve head was on the 305 camaros or and the larger was on the Z28 350.

So did the 80's vettes all have 4 bolt mains and large valves? My 86' vette had a 2 bolt.

Optional L-82 engines had big valve heads and 4 bolt mains. The base engine L-48 has two bolt mains and ran the same heads and intake as the L-82s.

Oh, i wonder does the L-82 have a steel crank also? I have not seen a forged crank in a motor for a long time.

The 80's vettes had a lock up converter trani also right? I know my 80 Z28 camaro gets much better gas mileage than the 79 Z28. THe lock up, its just a solenoid correct? It can be unpluged and disabled cant it? Pretty sure i have unplugged them before, i had one go bad and the car would stall when coming to a stop because it wouldnt disengage. of coarse that was on a chrysler K car. ;LOL

When the '80 Vette was introduced, I read in one of the car magazines that the valve sizes in the L-82 were reduced to 1.94/1.5, even though the hp was increased. I have also seen the same information posted on the NCRS Technical Discussion board along with the possibiltiy that the late L-82's using the 14010207 blocks, have 2 bolt mains.

True or not, I don't know. But I do own a late L-82 and maybe someday will confirm what valve size and main bearing caps it has. But it only has 50k miles on it and runs hard so if it ain't broke....

MMM

When i got my 80 vette the cam was flat so i replaced it and the head gaskets. I'm pretty sure it had the larger 1.94 intake valves, but can't remeber if it was a 2 or 4 bolt.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom