Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1980Corvette wiper motor

ERIC BOOTH

Corvette
1980 WHITE COUPE
Can anyone tell me the size in ohms of the resistor fitted on the underside of the black plastic cover on the wiper motor on my 1980 Corvette? (not the one at the three spade connector) The size is normally printed on the resistor itself, but as mine is burnt out, it is illegible.
If anyone is willing to remove the cover from their wiper motor and check that would be much appreciated. (it can be done with the motor still fixed to the firewall)
Replacing the faulty resistor will obviously save the expense of buying a new wiper motor.

Cheers ..... Eric

Welcome to CAC!!!
hope you enjoy the forum from across the pond!!!

Mine is put away for the winter.

1980 Corvette wiper motor

I'll take a look on my '81 if I don't forget.

Greetings Peter

Thanks Peter, This will be the first winter for me in my first Corvette and I don't fancy driving in the snow and ice without wipers ! I want to be able to see what I might crash into.
I bet these Corvettes are great fun in the snow and ice , just like my Healey 3000.

Cheers ...Eric

Welcome to CAC!!!
hope you enjoy the forum from across the pond!!!

Mine is put away for the winter.

Thanks for responding so quickly Bill. I'm sure I will enjoy and benefit from the forum.
I fully respect your choice to put your Corvette away for the winter, but as this is my first Corvette (bought In June this year) I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles in the ice and snow. But not without wipers!!! I will probably think twice about winter use once I have restored the car to as near new condition.

Cheers .... Eric

here in the northeast US,most corvettes get put away for winter,
they don't go well thru the snow plus with the deicers that they use on the roads
we wont find out about rust problems,usually,till its too late.:ugh

Here you go:

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

And driving it in the winter with snow and rain without knowing the car. I would think twice, really!

Greetings Peter

Here you go:

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

And driving it in the winter with snow and rain without knowing the car. I would think twice, really!

Greetings Peter

Hi Peter !
Thanks for opening up your wiper motor. The first picture shows the purple and orange resistor that has failed on my motor, Unfortunately I can't read any size number on the one in your photo.
P.s. I have always used my sports cars in the winter but I will take your advice on board.

Cheers ...Eric

I check again but no number on the resistor. The resistor shows big orange line followed by a thin orange line, thin black line and thin silver line. I measured the resistance in the resistor and it is 0.032k ohmage.

Greetings Peter

Orange-orange-black-silver is 33Ω resistor with 10% tolerance. Looks to be carbon comp (but any composition should be fine, I'd imagine), and looks like perhaps a 1 watter.

-Tatortot

I check again but no number on the resistor. The resistor shows big orange line followed by a thin orange line, thin black line and thin silver line. I measured the resistance in the resistor and it is 0.032k ohmage.

Greetings Peter

Hi Peter! Thanks again for all the trouble you have gone to helping out with my wiper motor problem. I will pass the information you have given me on to my auto electrician, and hopefully he will be able to source and fit a suitable resistor.
Brilliant !

Cheers ....Eric

Orange-orange-black-silver is 33Ω resistor with 10% tolerance. Looks to be carbon comp (but any composition should be fine, I'd imagine), and looks like perhaps a 1 watter.

-Tatortot

Thanks for the info on the wiper motor resistor. I will pass this on to my auto electrician, and hope fully get the problem sorted.
I'll Let you know how it goes. Cheers Eric ... (Booth not Clapton) . P.S people should keep their dogs under control lol !

The first year I bought my corvette, as a 26 year old man, i tried to drive the vette in Massachussets winter.
The first time there was any snow (just a dusting) the car would slide off the road while sitting at stopsigns, It was absolutely uncontrollable at speeds over 5mph, and the front air dam made a wonderfull snowplow!

I bought a winter car as soon as possible

But I respect your right to figure that out yourself. Good luck.

The first year I bought my corvette, as a 26 year old man, i tried to drive the vette in Massachussets winter.
The first time there was any snow (just a dusting) the car would slide off the road while sitting at stopsigns, It was absolutely uncontrollable at speeds over 5mph, and the front air dam made a wonderfull snowplow!

I bought a winter car as soon as possible

But I respect your right to figure that out yourself. Good luck.

Wajulia ... thanks for sharing your experience of driving the Corvette in the snow. I have an idea what to expect now and will proceed with caution.
My corvette has manual transmission which I find is always easier to handle than an auto in snow.

Cheers ...Eric

1980 Corvette wiper motor

Thanks for the info on the wiper motor resistor. I will pass this on to my auto electrician, and hope fully get the problem sorted.
I'll Let you know how it goes. Cheers Eric ... (Booth not Clapton) . P.S people should keep their dogs under control lol !

Thanks again for the info. A 33ohm resistor has been bought (64pence) and soldered into the wiper motor, an easy repair which has saved the expense of a replacement wiper motor. The motor is now back on the car and is working fine.
Cheers Eric Booth

Greetings Peter

Tanks again Peter, I bought a 33ohm resistor and had it soldered into the wiper motor. (cheep and easy) The wiper motor now works fine.
Cheers Eric Booth

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom