Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Corvette Factory Alarm

Rusty_S

I have a couple questions about a 1981 Corvette Alarm.

I have done a search and seen about the whole using the power door lock to lock the door before closing it to arm the alarm. I could never get the alarm to arm with the key.

The question is though If the factory alarm goes off will it eventually shut off itself or keep honking till you go out and turn the key to disarm it?

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the 81 has the starter interupt . I had an 81 and I read somewhere that when using the door key, it inabled that feature. I don't remember about the car having an actual alarm. I'll have to get the books out and reread what it says about that. I'm sure other 81 owners know more about the alarm.
Skitch;shrug

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the 81 has the starter interupt . I had an 81 and I read somewhere that when using the door key, it inabled that feature. I don't remember about the car having an actual alarm. I'll have to get the books out and reread what it says about that. I'm sure other 81 owners know more about the alarm.
Skitch;shrug

I could never figure it out. When the battery would get low the dome light would come on and the horn would go honking. Did the same thing while drying the Ttop but I could never figure out how to arm it cause sometimes it was armed and some times it wasnt. But Just wondering if the alarm would ever turn off on its own after so long. Would be a real pain to arm it every night and a cat sets it off and have to get dressed and go out to turn it off manually.

Did you try unlocking the door with the key? Use the power door locks to lock the car. I think locking the door with the key arms the alarm.

Did you try unlocking the door with the key? Use the power door locks to lock the car. I think locking the door with the key arms the alarm.

Since I stopped driving the car for repairs I have been using the key to lock the door and the alarm has never went off again. I think it was because I wasnt using the key to lock the door.

Dont know the 81 Factory Alarm, but if it matches the 82's, the power door locks (inside) arm the alarm, unlocking the door with the key disarms it. T-Tops also have to be in, as they have a contact. By using the key to lock and unlock it, you do not arm the system. Hope this helps.. :)

:w
-Stefan

Dont know the 81 Factory Alarm, but if it matches the 82's, the power door locks (inside) arm the alarm, unlocking the door with the key disarms it. T-Tops also have to be in, as they have a contact. By using the key to lock and unlock it, you do not arm the system. Hope this helps.. :)

:w
-Stefan

That sure does help. The only thing I am wondering about is will the alarm turn off on its own or will it keep going off till I go out and put the key in the door and turn it off or the battery dies?

That is why I was never really too anxious to figure out how to operate it but curiousity finally got me and I searched here for the operation.

If i remember it correctly, it goes until disarmed or the battery dies, eventually. Sorry, gotta get dressed. :)

owners manual for my 81 says if alarm is activated horn will sound for 2 to 5 minutes then silence but starter interupt will stay active until system is disarmed by useing door key

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom