Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 Corvette Hatch back

tstorts

Corvette
1981 Corvette
We have a 1981 Corvette that has a hatch back on it and it does not appear to be an add on. I is perfectly mold with on attachments molding in. I can not find any fibreglass repair mends anywhere. I was told that before St. Louis stopped production it was experimenting with a few of the hatch back prior to the 1982 production , any help would be greatly appreciated.

1st Welcome to CAC
and be sure to register your vette in the '81 registry,if you haven't done so already!!!.

2nd,1981 corvettes did NOT have hatchbacks.
they were only in the 82's Collectors Edition vettes.
it probably came from that had been wrecked.
I suppose a good body man could make it work without showing any fiberglass work to it.

Thanks for the Help

I was sure that 81's did not have the hsatch back but was in Jefferson , Missouri any one of the Corvette owner and historian thought they made a few for the beginning of the 82 ce. But our vin number is in the middle so did not think much about it. They body shop did a great job since you can not see it is an add on. Thanks for all the help, I will let this thread die also:beer

I say post some pics!

Very cool to find a mod which was done by a very experienced body man!

The hatch certainly makes your Vette more useable.

While driving your '81 w/ a hatch, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

The only factory hatchbacks were the 82 CEs. After those came out, there were a couple of aftermarket providers who would install the CE hatch on earlier cars. They also sold the conversions as kits for those who wanted to do it themselves.

If you hatchback looks stock, someone did a good job with the conversion.

This swap is possible today IF the owner can cobble together the reqired factory parts for the hatch. Big IF, but it can be done. Based on threads I have followed, the biggest stumbling block is finding a pair of factory hinges in useable condition.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom