Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Corvette two tone paint......

How many 1981 Corvettes had the 33/38 paint code or just two tone paint production numbers.

Thanks

Hi 198plus! And...
:welcome

I don't see any stats on the 81 two tones here on the CAC... but I can tell you that I have only seen one silver & blue '81 only once. I'm thinking there are more out there, but I don't know.

Very pretty combo though. :thumb

Perhaps Yoda or someone else will chime in....

Hi 198plus! And...
:welcome

I don't see any stats on the 81 two tones here on the CAC... but I can tell you that I have only seen one silver & blue '81 only once. I'm thinking there are more out there, but I don't know.

Very pretty combo though. :thumb

Perhaps Yoda or someone else will chime in....

Here's one I just bought today, should be delivered on Wednesday. Just trying to figure out if it was a rare color. Thanks for the welcome!

Wow- that's BEAUTIFUL!!!

:thumb

How many 1981 Corvettes had the 33/38 paint code or just two tone paint production numbers.

Thanks
Welcome to the CAC!!

One of the advantages of the CAC is the massive accumulation of detailed information in our Knowledge Base. If there is an answer to be had, chances are good that it's here. For instance, the unfortunate answer to your question is here:

Corvette Action Center | Research Center | C3 | 1981 Corvette Center | 1981 Corvette Production and Performance

There isn't specific information available of the number of 1981s with that colour combination.

Mac

GM appears not to have tracked two tone paint data at Bowling Green other than the primary color (upper). They did track the option code. 5352 1981 buyers chose the two paint.

Last edited:
The "Corvette Black Book" doesn't even list the number of 33/38 cars built. Sees odd that GM didn't track that and the Black Book doesn't have it.

...The "Corvette Black Book" doesn't even list the number of 33/38 cars built. Sees odd that GM didn't track that and the Black Book doesn't have it...

The note in the Black Book says the 81 two-tone numbers were lumped under the primary color code. For two of the combinations, silver was the primary color so those would be included in the 3369 figure given for silver. The others would get gobbled up in autumn red and beige. IIRC the first fifty cars off the line at Bowling Green were all 50/74 beige/bronze cars. I've seen pictures of a publicity pic (probably from GM Archives) of a transporter in front of the plant loaded with 10 beige/bronze cars. As I recall, this was supposed to be the first transporter to leave the new plant.

There is also a pic of the ribbon cutting at plant of the first car off the line. It's beige/bronze.

Last edited:
1981 Two-tone paint

In 1981 corvette manufacturing was closed in St. Louis and opened in Bowling Green about mid-year. 8,995 were manufactures at Bowling Green with enamel paint and of those 5,352 were painted with the two-tone paint. If it has two-tone paint it was manufactured at Bowling Green.

Your corvette matches the one I have sitting in my garage; numbers matching & just under 69,000 miles.

...In 1981 corvette manufacturing was closed in St. Louis and opened in Bowling Green about mid-year...

Almost. 1981 production at St. Louis continued through August 1, 1981. You can Google the last St. Louis built C3.

Bowling Green opened June 1, 1981 while St. Louis was still in production and continued 1981 model into October.

1981 Corvette two tone paint

Almost. 1981 production at St. Louis continued through August 1, 1981. You can Google the last St. Louis built C3.

Bowling Green opened June 1, 1981 while St. Louis was still in production and continued 1981 model into October.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was some overlap but not the dates of opening/closing.

Hutch

Beautiful car.

Tom

Hi 198 plus, I to have looked for the production numbers of the Bowling Green 81's and have no luck, not even G M can tell us. they know the total number of two tone's but not the break down of each color. Nice car, mine is 50/74.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom