Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 fender flares

Voodoo81

Corvette
1981 ZZ383, Weiand 177, steeroids, Van Steel rear
I've done a lot of searching, both on this site and the internet in general, and haven't seen a whole lot about fender flares. I'm getting some body work done and a paint job, and was just kicking around the idea of L-88 style flares. All of the kits I've seen say they fit C3 model years up to 1979.

Any thoughts, or is this a custom job?

Thanks
John

Fender flares are surgery for the car- it's not a a bolt on thing you can do in an hour. That said, lots of folks have done them. I'd say if this is your first time with fiberglass mods... I'd suggest just paying someone else to do it. Getting them on is easy- getting them right is a different story.

Fender flares are surgery for the car- it's not a a bolt on thing you can do in an hour. That said, lots of folks have done them. I'd say if this is your first time with fiberglass mods... I'd suggest just paying someone else to do it. Getting them on is easy- getting them right is a different story.
:werd:Not only can you get it wrong up and down, but the flares can be rolled front and back (clockwise/counterclockwise), or set too far forward or back. That's 6 ways to do it wrong right up. The GM flares had a tab that fit over the top edge to get the up/down, but you could still miss 4 other ways. Even with that, I still think they look pretty cool. (biased opinion)

If you set them up as intended they will always be too low and too far back. For a proper centering over the wheel requires reworking the section right behind the door. For 80-82 you need to rework the lower ends of the flares and quarters

Pics?

I've been looking on forums and google and can find a ton of pictures of fender flares on C3's up to '77, but hardly any pics of 78-82 with flared fenders. It's making me worry that the differences in body styles may make the flares not look as good on my particular year.

Anyone have any pics they can dig up?

Josh at Custom Image now has flares made to bond right in at the bonding strip, eliminates all those issues. My set for my '82 are arriving today!

8enuvesy.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374778577.617367.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom