Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 Fuel Line from Pump to Carb

dap220

Corvette
1981 Burgundy Metallic Coupe - 4 Speed
Hello Everyone,
I am attempting to replace the rubber fuel hose on my 1981 350 sb with a metal fitted line that I purchased from Keen corvette.
I am having trouble getting the line down to the pump and am wondering if anyone have any tips for feeding it through.
I am thinking it goes down between the block and the A?C bracket but am wondering if I need to remove the A/C to gain proper access.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a happy and safe Independence Day!!

Thanks,
Dale
:w

When these C3's got assembled some parts went on first followed by other parts. If you can't install it from the top down or the bottom up you'll have to remove whatever parts are preventing it from going in. If you have to remove the A/C bracket to get it in that's the way it goes.

Bummer...
I was thinking of removing the A/C unit since it doesn't work and I'm not going to fix it.
Any thoughts on what I need to do to do that?

you may want to fix it as the cockpits in these vettes can get very warm!!!

Bummer...
I was thinking of removing the A/C unit since it doesn't work and I'm not going to fix it.
Any thoughts on what I need to do to do that?

IF...you are not obsessed with originality good compressors and parts are available at the usual large outlet suppliers..I have one from the "Zone"..and it works.
Nick

I did it a few years ago, And I am not near my car or I would look for you. but I am almost positive I had to take the AC bracket off to make it fit. It is a bit of a PIA to snake down there, and almost always a PIA to get the nut to align properly with the fuel pump.

From the factory, the fuel line was installed when the engine was built in Flint. The AC parts were added to the engine once it reached St. Louis or Bowling Green assembly line.

From the factory, the fuel line was installed when the engine was built in Flint. The AC parts were added to the engine once it reached St. Louis or Bowling Green assembly line.

Thanks, I'm going to have to bite the bullet...or use some AN fittings to run a braided line from the pump all the way up to the carb.
The biggest PIA to date!!:w

The biggest PIA to date!!

You have never experienced the joy of working on a Big Block with full options then. :)

As my favorite Alternate Lifestyle Asian would say, "Oh My". :D

Been there...done that.

Hello Everyone,
I am attempting to replace the rubber fuel hose on my 1981 350 sb with a metal fitted line that I purchased from Keen corvette.
I am having trouble getting the line down to the pump and am wondering if anyone have any tips for feeding it through.
I am thinking it goes down between the block and the A?C bracket but am wondering if I need to remove the A/C to gain proper access.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a happy and safe Independence Day!!

Thanks,
Dale
:w
When I struggled to put in my new metal fuel line in my '81, it got a lot easier when I pinched off the lower radiator hose with a clamp from Harbor Freight made for that, and disconnected the lower hose from the engine. I then disconnected the round steel brace that runs from under the AC Compressor to the front of the block, forward of the fuel pump (5/8" socket I believe). You can get to the top bolt from above with a socket and extension if you first remove the air intake side rigid duct and the top air dam (just a few screws). I loosened the top bolt a bit and then took out the lower bolt. The bracket swings out of the way. Hint:thumb: Restart the lower bolt and tighten before tightening the upper bolt. Be careful starting the line to pump connection and used pipe dope made for fuel applications. No Leaks!!:cool!: Another hint:thumb: While you have the fuel line in hand, buy some heat shield insulation and fit it to the line from the carb to the pump...helps avoid vapor lock on hot days after driving and then letting the car sit for a short time...fuel can boil in line.

For you guys who have changed out hard line, how did the aftermarket parts fit?

Obviously the 82 has a different set of lines... but I was shocked the aftermarket fuel line that runs between the TB units didn't fit at all. It was like the jig used was too big. So I ended up using AN lines instead.

Have y'all struggled with ill-fitting lines?

For you guys who have changed out hard line, how did the aftermarket parts fit?

Obviously the 82 has a different set of lines... but I was shocked the aftermarket fuel line that runs between the TB units didn't fit at all. It was like the jig used was too big. So I ended up using AN lines instead.

Have y'all struggled with ill-fitting lines?

I use a Lincoln tubing bender and it does a great job. And rather than using "fuel hose" I have always used 300# push-on hydraulic hose for my tank-to-engine lines because of it's high burst strength.

Kane,you might want to check the 84 parts as well asit too is a crossfire....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Kane,you might want to check the 84 parts as well asit too is a crossfire....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The 84's line is a little different. :(
Thanks though.

Yeah, my question was directed at satisfaction with aftermarket fuel lines more than needing one.

I wasn't impressed. I was wondering if others had the same experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom