Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 fuel tank

Corvette
'74 383 4 spd coupe
Hey guys, I am bringing a 1981 C3 back to life for a freind of mine. It has sat since the mid 90s. First order of business is to drop the fuel tank and lines. Today's question (there will be many in the following weeks) is the fuel tank for the '81 cleanable? I read something about a bladder. Thanks for helping.

Hey guys, I am bringing a 1981 C3 back to life for a freind of mine. It has sat since the mid 90s. First order of business is to drop the fuel tank and lines. Today's question (there will be many in the following weeks) is the fuel tank for the '81 cleanable? I read something about a bladder. Thanks for helping.

A 1981 should have a bladder.

As frank has already said, there is a polyethylene bladder. There is a cleaning procedure for it in the FSM. Its just wiping it with a wet sponge.

Thanks for the replies. Wiping it with a sponge? I assume you drop the tank take out the fuel sending unit to access the inside of it.

yes,use a wet sponge.inside liner of foreign material,rinsing sponge often,
when wiping liner.wipe dry.

Thanks for the replies. Wiping it with a sponge? I assume you drop the tank take out the fuel sending unit to access the inside of it.
Everything can be removed with the tank in place. Just start with the filler door and work your way down.

Nope makes the job much easier.
Of course if you drop the tank you do get access to the build sheet that's attached to it. But thats up to you if you want to go through all yhat to get to it

Mine didn't have any liner. Was still nice and black on the inside so didn't do anythink to it really.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom