Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1981 No power to windows and driver seat

Shadow

Corvette
1981 Coupe
Windows and power driver seat suddenly stopped working. Circuit breaker replaced, still no function. Bad
ground somewhere?

Grounds are normally worth checking, but if they both stopped at the same time its probably not a ground as they use separate grounds. (unless its a main ground that's loose but i think you would notice other problems)
Have you checked to see if there is 12v on the load side of the circuit breaker? if there was a short somewhere it would trip as soon as it pressed in, or as soon as you try to run a bad motor.

1981 No power to electric windows/driver's seat

Antz81, you are correct; no power to load side of circuit breaker. I removed the
seat and checked the wiring, which appears ok. Any suggestions as to where I
should begin the search for the short? I am somewhat new to the 1981 Vette
"electrical gremlins". Thank you for your assistance!

No Power to windows/driver's seat

Just to clarify, NO power at fuse block where circuit breaker is inserted, ignition on or off.
Pink wire firmly connected to fuse block. All other vehicle accessories functioning normally,
ie., power door locks, antenna, interior courtesy lights, etc...

Just to clarify, NO power at fuse block where circuit breaker is inserted, ignition on or off.
Pink wire firmly connected to fuse block. All other vehicle accessories functioning normally,
ie., power door locks, antenna, interior courtesy lights, etc...

No power to the fuse block? If what you say is correct then you should still have continuity across the circuit breaker.
That being the case check at the six pin connector on the passenger side of the motor (this goes dow to the starter) you should have 12v on both red wires. If not then there is a fusable link down near the starter that is gone.

I'll take a look at my wireing diagram when I get home for other places where you could get this problem.

Things are getting bit little bit odd here. I've looked at 3 seperate wiring diagrams (including the FSM) and all say that the power window C/B also does the power seat. All agree that this would only have power with the ignition on. Except for the FSM which says hot at all times, and in the description says its only hot with the ignition on (power window only).

Just checked on my vette, I have a seperate 25A fuse in the lower right of the fuse marked pwr seat and my seat will operate at all times. My windows only operate with the ignition on.

Do you also have this 25A fuse? or is it just me?

No power to windows/driver's seat

I have no 25A fuse receptacle. It appears fusible links are intact. I can't seem to follow the pink power wire from
out behind the fuse block into the harness that comes in from the engine side. I am assuming that the problem
is on that side. The wiring diagram I have is made for a 20 year old with perfect vision to read.

I have no 25A fuse receptacle. It appears fusible links are intact. I can't seem to follow the pink power wire from
out behind the fuse block into the harness that comes in from the engine side. I am assuming that the problem
is on that side. The wiring diagram I have is made for a 20 year old with perfect vision to read.

Ok, maybe there was a change partway through the production year, or just a different combination of options;shrug. For now I'll just assume yours is correct to the diagram.

The pink wire that comes out the front should go off to the power windows and seat. If it comes out the back it may actually be orange and just faded.
Do your A/C controls function correctly? If they do then the problem must be in the fuse panel itself (which would seem a bit strange. if this is what you find you may want to recheck the voltage to the circuit breaker.)
If you A/C doesn't work and no volts to fuse Then you may have a faulty ignition switch or a break in the wire going up to it.

1981 No power to windows/seat

Thank you very much for your patience and help. I will advise as to solution.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom