Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Rear Window Defroster Switch Lever

Allthumbs

Corvette
1981 white coupe
Hi fellow C3 Vette owners.. new to this group but I have spent my time lurking ! Cool site. My question is this: I am missing the "knob" off my lever.. Where can I find a replacement ? The unit works fine.. it is just the all important appearance knob or switch on the counsel that is missing. Nothing listed on Ecklers, CA, or anything online .. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You !

Tom

My last post..

I just fully read my post and realized that it sort of sounded.. umm.. funny.. that was not my intention. I am just trying to find the plastic thingy that fits on the that part on the console.. Sorry about that ;LOL

Tom

1st,Welcome to CAC!!!!
2nd are you talking about the lever that turns it on and off or something else????
the switches them selves are pretty rare as they only made them for a few years.
be sure to check out the L-81 registry and register your vette!!!!

RE: Rear Window Defroster Lever

Hi Bill:

Yes, just the lever.. or the plastic piece that fits on it to turn the defroster on and off. The switch itself is fine and works but it is missing its "cover" .. any suggestions ? Oh.. and I will register on the 81 part of this.. looked there too for a similar question but with no success.

Tom

:w Tom,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ..

I'm not real sure about finding just the cover for the toggle switch. The switch has an intergrated LED in the switch lever that comes on with an orange or redish/orange light. It also includes a timer that shuts off the rear window defog after a preset time period.

I've seen them on Ebay before: Ebay 1981 Corvette & Ebay 81 Corvette

Good Hunting and enjoy the :Steer

Bud

Re: Rear defroster switch

Thanks Bud thanks for the info ! I have checked ebay but no luck.. maybe I am missing something. My switch still has the LED part but looking at the owners manual I assumed there was something else that surrounded it.. a piece of plastic that made it square shaped ? hmm.. so that the opaque piece (LED) was in the middle of the switch ? What I appear to have is the smaller LED part missing its surrounding shroud ?

Tom

Tom, if i may:
1st: Welcome to the CAC!
2nd: On my 82, i have the same issue and in 13 years havent found the lever itself. Apparently someone broke it off, so that only the lower part is on the orange led type thingy. It still works fine, and i just put it on the: When i finally get around to it list. If you find one, let me know where !

:w
-Stefan

Re: Rear Window Defroster switch

Stefan: That is it !.. 13 years ? uh oh.. sounds like it is going to be one of those things that I will learn to live without for quite some time. If I do come across one I will let you know. Thanks.

Tom

Try a local scrap yard. That lever was used in a number of cars of that era. The swich can be opened and parts can be changed.

Jim

I have the complete defroster switch & knob from my 80 that was totalled. I saved in just becuase I may have a need for it someday. It's here someplace if you are interested.

Gary

Defroster knob

Gary:

You bet I'm interested !

Here is my email address:

squireslaw@aol.com

Drop me a message over the weekend.

Thanks,

Tom

Defroster Switch

Apparently the 80 and 81 defroster switches are completely different animals. The 80 has a light on the backing or the mounting part of it.. while the 81's have the light on the toggle itself. I guess maybe I will have to try the salvage/ junk yards.. ?.. My car is missing this part, the windshield wiper knob, and the radio plate.. man I know it is 25 yrs old.. but why so hard on these things ? Oh well.. the hunt goes on.. Thanks to those that posted.. I really appreciate your help and sure am glad that I joined your forum. Do they still. offer the Restoration Packages for free ??

Tom

I love the CAC !:cool

I would like to thank Daryl for sending me the switch cover off his old burned out '81 switch !
He saw this old thread and sent it right away and it fits great !:beer

Tom

Get ready for sticker shock!
Corvette Central has the complete switch for your year, Late 1980-1982 Switch
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom