Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 "spec"paint

scottkoz

Corvette
1980, 1981, 1987
I purchased a 81 with SPEC on the door jam tag. Anybody know how many 81s are this way. It also has the flip up rear window. Both options are slightly visable on the build sheet. Is this a rare 81?

Attachments

• 20240622_171858.jpg
    20240622_171858.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240622_165637.jpg
    20240622_165637.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
Both options are rare on an 81. The rear window option is more rare. I can't make out the build sheet but if it's on there then it was special ordered. Many people purchased the rear window pop up kit and installed them in their late model C3's but that would be considered aftermarket.

That's a very interesting '81.
The Corvette Black Book says that the lifting rear hatchback glass was first used on the '83 Collector's Edition. It doesn't mention it being available on the '81.
The Black Book shows that one '81 was painted primer only and the trim tag showed "SPEC" - very interesting.

I thought so also but I can't read the whole build sheet to verify

Both options are rare on an 81. The rear window option is more rare. I can't make out the build sheet but if it's on there then it was special ordered. Many people purchased the rear window pop up kit and installed them in their late model C3's but that would be considered aftermarket.
I can see where it say hatch on the build sheet but can't make out much more tha that

I fat fingered '83 Corvette. I should be '82 Collector's Edition.

I can't make out anything that says hatch either. If you could find a way to enhance that image to bring out the printing that would be great. I'd like to know the option code since it was never listed as an RPO in 81. In 82 the hatch
wasn't listed as an option either. It only came as standard equipment with the Collector's Edition Hatchback (model 1YY07) which was a separate model from the base coupe (model 1YY87). The gentleman that owned the primer 81 was from Maryland and a member here for several years. Of course, spec doesn't have to mean primer. It could be a color that wasn't on the list of 81 colors. Just throwing this out there for what it's worth but this car could have been a prototype or test car used to develop the hatch rear window for the 82 Collector's model. Could be that it was assembled but not painted a color because of the modifications that were to be performed for the hatch window.

Tom

I did get my results from gm heritage and the car was shipped as primer gray and the hatch was dealer installed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom