Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 steering

R

RayHardin

Hey guys. I have an '81 corvette with play in the steering wheel. I had a friend snug up the steering box and I still have play. I have checked all of the ball joints, tie rods and etc with nothing loose. I was hoping that someone could tell me if I would need to adjust the control valve to cure the problem or if there is another common problem similar to mine with most C3's. Thanks in advance!!

Loose steering causes:

Worn suspension parts
worn rag joint
incorrect lash setting or worn out gears
CV balance
bearing play

If the box was not correctly adjusted you may have caused more wear. Look at the lash screw in the cover, does it show 2+ threads above the nut?
Look up my links to steering boxes as well to help.

Just for your info, I put a new steering box (GM) on my 81 and it had just as much play as the old one. The old one leaked and that is why it was replaced. I was disappointed with the play but was told that is the nature of that vintage.

Just for your info, I put a new steering box (GM) on my 81 and it had just as much play as the old one. The old one leaked and that is why it was replaced. I was disappointed with the play but was told that is the nature of that vintage.

Bill
Something isn't correct then. A correctly built box will not have play in it. True if the box has too much grease and no room for expansion it will leak. Usually I use Mobil 1 and this has been a problem with this grease until recently. Now it's a new formulation and less likely to weep like before of course I wouldn't use it in bearings anymore though.

The best way to adjust the box is out of the car but it can be done in the car as long as too much lash is not applied. The center tooth will wear fast if over adjusted and lead to slop on center that you will not be able to correct with a new gear set.

hey guys, thanks for the responses. I had a reputable mechanic who owns his own Corvette adjust the box. I'm pretty confident he knows how to adjust the box. I forgot to mention that he said that the shaft in the power valve ( where the pitman arm attaches? ) moves a bit before it moves the steering ram when I am turning the steering wheel back and forth. This is why I asked about the power valve. I will check tomorrow how many threads I have above the lock nut tomorrow.

hey guys, thanks for the responses. I had a reputable mechanic who owns his own Corvette adjust the box. I'm pretty confident he knows how to adjust the box. I forgot to mention that he said that the shaft in the power valve ( where the pitman arm attaches? ) moves a bit before it moves the steering ram when I am turning the steering wheel back and forth. This is why I asked about the power valve. I will check tomorrow how many threads I have above the lock nut tomorrow.

Ray, There is no shaft in the control valve, however there is one in the power cylinder. There should be "NO" slop in your steering. The guy who told you that "it's the nature of that vintage" is mis-informed. The '81 has a good steering system and should have "NO" play when working correctly. You obviously have a worn part somewhere in the system or got a replacement box that has worn gears, bushings, etc.. My '81 has never had any slop in the steering and reacts very well to quick twists of the steering wheel. Keep looking f/ the slop that shouldn't be there. I'd check that replacement box closely.

Good Luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom