Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 tu-tone beige/bronze info

R

redneck

Spring has sprung and I wave a hand to my fellow vetter's !! . .... .
QUESTION---after hibernating all winter here in ontario , canada , and searching the internet harder then anything I still can-not get a positive number for how many 1981 beige/bronze corvettes were were painted in this combination !...help guys ??....This seems to be a very important factor for the appraisal on the car since if it is as rare as it seems to be , then , it actualy increases the value of the car considerably ! . My appraisal guy tells me while right now mine is appraised in the mid-teens , this piece of vital info COULD put the car into the low to mid 20's !! . I can tell you this , I live in southern ontario , province of canada and I have been to a huge amount of shows and cruises with my little sign **have you seen her twin?** . I have had two yes's.....one from a guy who say's he saw one in Myrtle beach S.C. and another guy said he saw a picture once in a vette book . I do know we have several members with the same car and wonder if these fellows have found anything out . I had one *expert* tell me 98 were painted this combo , with my car being the 168th off the line , wouldn't that mean at least 167 were done the same before ?...assuming that when they painted the cars there would be a run of them on the line right ? . You wouldn't get a blue one...a green one...2 red ones...ect coming down the line would you ? . I would think when painting 2-tones , they would stick with that for well..awhile...no ??......anyway...any ideas guys ?...help ??....take care all...rubber side down this summer and save da wave eh ?........cheers....redneck

The Corvette Black Book does not list a figure for 50/74 color combination and says it is possible these cars were included in the total number of solid beige cars (2239). I have no reference for the figure of 98 beige/bronze cars.

Cars were painted as ordered and not in color batches. It's likely several of the cars in front and behind your car were not painted beige/bronze. The paint room at Bowling Green was automated. Robots did the work (still do). Changing exterior color for the various cars on the line is simple.

You might consider the NCRS site for further information. National Corvette Restorers Society

Good Luck with the hunt.
:)

Well there's at least three with that color combo for sale at this link:
1981 Corvettes For Sale | C0 Corvettes | Corvette Auto Trader Classifieds
one from SC, one from Pa., and one from Fl.

The one from Summerville, SC I know very well as it's from our club and may have been the one sighted in Myrtle Beach. I do remember at least two that were for sale in the Charleston area a couple years ago. Good luck in your search for info.

:w redneck,

I've "heard" the figure 112 bantered about, but I have not found any evidence to support that figure ;shrug

*All 2-tone 1981's (*production) models were built at the Bowling Green Plant. The L81VetteRegistry has documented 1 from the St. Louis Plant, it was one of about 8 or 10 that were built to sample the 2-tone color scheme. This is validated by the VIN and the Trim Tag information!!

Here is the page from the L81VetteRegistry showing Documented Numbers of 50/74 paint scheme this totals 48 cars. I know of Three that are not listed in the Registry, One here in Amarillo, Texas; One in Scottsbluff, Nebraska; and One in Roseville, California ;)

As for insurance... What insurance carrier is it that you are getting a fixed worth $$ from?? I have my 1981 insuranced with Hagarty Insurance @ $23,000 and each year I call and ask what they recommend ;shrug Mine is nothing super collectable, per say ~ it is a UL5 Deleted, 4-Speed optioned 1981 and I have restored her to show room condition @ a lot $$$ time and effort ;shrug

Good Luck in your search... most of all :Steer it and enjoy :thumb

Bud

thanks Mike...will try that..

The Corvette Black Book does not list a figure for 50/74 color combination and says it is possible these cars were included in the total number of solid beige cars (2239). I have no reference for the figure of 98 beige/bronze cars.

Cars were painted as ordered and not in color batches. It's likely several of the cars in front and behind your car were not painted beige/bronze. The paint room at Bowling Green was automated. Robots did the work (still do). Changing exterior color for the various cars on the line is simple.

You might consider the NCRS site for further information. National Corvette Restorers Society

Good Luck with the hunt.
:)
thanks Mike...appreciate the response......i don't think i tried those guys...but , man , i've been all over trying everything and everyone . I will get back to you when i hear from 'em and their answer .......save da wave...redneck

'81 tu-tone reponses...

Thanks guys for your help . Mike , i will try those restorer fellas and see what they have to say . Tritium007 , yup , seen a few around the net for sale too . From 10,000 up to 25,000 . One ya missed is at c & n ( i think) in Arizona though it need some work . Yoda , thanks for all the info , the insurance company that i use of course is in ontario , canada so maybe it diff here ? . Car's are appraised at a certain value ,simple as that . It is not regular type insurance though , they expect you are driving much less then normal car ( to shows , cruises , perhaps a nice hot sunny day ride ) . You can't take to shopping malls , grocery stores or use as transportation to work , that sort of thing . I manage to put 6,000 on my car this past summer (08) anyways lol . My insurance costs reflect this limited policy however where-as i have 2 million pl and pd...100 dollar deductable on all comprehensive ( fire-theft-vandal ) for 180 bucks a year . While there are no limits to how much or how much mileage you do , as you can see , you are limited to where they want you to not go . ( big deal ) right ?...who would anyways ?? . Ok fellas......a wave to ya's all from the great white north ( sun shine and 70 degrees tomorrow ) from the redneck......thanks guys...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom