Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 vapor lock--electric fuel pump needed???

FactoryC3

Corvette
1981 Black Coupe Red Interior
[FONT=&quot]I am having problems with vapor lock on my vehicle after driving in warmer weather and parking for a short (20-45 min.) time in the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sun[/FONT][FONT=&quot], the car starts fine and will drive for about 30 seconds before stalling.
No fuel observed from primary jets when actuating the throttle linkage and accelerator pump.
After short cool down with hood open, the engine will start and can be driven for hours with no fuel feed problems.
When cool in shop, fuel delivery is exceptional.
Have wrapped the pump to carb line with proper heat protection product. Thermo-Tech line cover with an added covering of [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thermo-Tech [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Express Sleeve.
I am thinking of putting an in-line electric fuel pump in and blanking off the existing pump pad. Suggestions? Pump source?[/FONT]

Vapour lock happens before/inside the fuel pump, not in the line between the pump and the carb. Are you sure that someone has not downgraded your car with an incorrect non-bypass pump. There must be two lines leading into the pump and one out.

Stock factory pump

Vapour lock happens before/inside the fuel pump, not in the line between the pump and the carb. Are you sure that someone has not downgraded your car with an incorrect non-bypass pump. There must be two lines leading into the pump and one out.

There are two in and one out.

The smaller of the two lines on the inlet side is to continuously bypass a small amount of fuel back to the tank. This flow keeps the pump ass'y cool to prevent vapour lock. I'd suggest making sure the lines are clear or kinked and that Bubba has not blocked the by pass. I've seen it a dozen times.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom