Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1981 Vette rear glass

David Coldicott

Corvette
1981 burgandy
I am currently looking for some options with my 1981 Corvette back glass.
> Has anybody removed it all together and had a canvass top put on in case of rain/wash ? Got pictures you can send ?
> How about converting an 1981 with a 1982 hinged glass option?
> Any other ideas ? I just joined the site and am excited for the professional feedback
Thank You all in adavance forthe assistance.
DC

1st welcome to CAC!!!
be sure to check out the L-81 registry and register your '81,
if you haven't done so already!!!!
now...I haven't heard of anybody taking it completely out and using canvass...
as far as converting to an '82 hinged option,I suppose you could IF you could find a crashed collectors edition.
I don't know if anyone make a conversion kit for it.
I looked back thru the old threads,I thought some one had tried it but,I couldn't find the thread...

...Any other ideas ?...

Leave it alone. There is no aftermarket replacement kit for the back glass on the 78-82 models. If you want to convert to the 82 CE rear hatch, purchase the 81 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and study the diagrams for the factory installation of your rear glass. Purchase the 82 AIM and look at the diagrams of the installation of the CE hatch. Compare the two installations. The 82 AIM will list the part numbers of the various parts you will need in order to make the swap.

Most of the parts you will need for the conversion have been out of production for 30 years. If you find parts, expect them to be expensive.

Good luck.

:thumb

:w Welcome aboard David :thumb

Way back in the dark ages, when the 1981 was a NEW Corvette, and after the 1982 CE came out, there was at least one aftermarket company that made the conversion from fixed window to the CE style.

That company has long gone out of business and along with it any parts or instructions. Through the years I have seen 1981's with the CE back window, those were done from parts off a wrecked 1982 CE. Even finding parts for the REAL GM CE rear window options is like finding a saddle for Saber Tooth Tiger ;)

There are also several 1981 "AFTERMARKET" Convertible's. ALL are Body Shop recreations as NONE were built at St. Louis or Bowling Green ;) Most these are made from wrecked 1974 ~ 1975 Convertibles ;)

Welcome and enjoy the :Steer

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom