Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Corvette

Drwhitesr

Corvette
1980 C3 Corvette Red Coupe
I am getting ready to purchase a 1982 Corvette. Is there any special things I should be looking for, like rust on the frame etc. I know it is the "Cross Fire Engine" but it is the car I have always wanted and now is the time. I plan to purchase the car in Florida. Any insight would be appreciated.

The `82 is the perfect C3 for me - the most technology, creature comforts, relative reliability, eventual collectibility, etc. But, it has some known issues to be aware of but none of them are show stoppers by any stretch. For instance, it was the first year for electric fuel pumps in the C3. Replace it. Just do it. It is a DIY-level job which you need to be ready to enjoy learning/continually monitoring and repairing as a C3 owner. Since you'll have the first C3 with electronic fuel injection, use injector cleaner. The power door lock actuators and door lock switches in the door panel fail after 35 years and need to be replaced. The C3 parts supplier partners have a tremendous inventory of parts - your family will never wonder what to get you for a birthday, Christmas gift, ever again - there is always something you want, like a kid. You will love your `82, if you buy the right one it is a pure joy. If you post pictures of your prospective `82 throughout, I will gladly tell you what is original and what is not and anything else to look for that I can think of while looking at the pictures. The C3 forums will help a lot. Here is a list to get you started, and some forums have a specific `82 Crossfire segment ("Sticky").

Hope this helps.

Dave V.

Attachments

• C3 Buyers Checklist.pdf
    579.9 KB · Views: 139
looking forward to pics of your 82' C3 when you get it !

If you are going to purchase an '82,after your purchase,get yourself a factory repair manual as well as the assembly instruction manual.these are the Bible to which are better are built and repaired.Especially if you're going to plan on working on it yourself.!!!!
Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have a problem.were here to help if you want it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I learned how to drive on an 82 Vette and was fortunate my dad let me take it out on special occasions.

The 82s will always hold a special place in my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette Bird Cage

I have been told that when looking at a Vette, that I should pay special attention to the "bird cage" in the car. I understand this to be the frame around the windshield and behind the seats. Is there anywhere special I should be looking for rust and frame issues. Is this area the "bird cage"?

You have been given very good advice Also you could try to look for rust and/or bubbling issues all around the windshield frame from the inside and the outside. If the owner will let you, remove the side kick panels below the ends of the dash and check for rust at the #2 body mounts. Surface rust is OK but the bottom of the cage eaten away is trouble. Also look at the kick ups in front of the rear wheels and check the #3 mounts by removing the access panels as well as the #4 mounts in the rear.
Hopefully your inspection will not find major problems. You can do a Google search to find information and videos regarding what it takes to replace the mounts and the amount of work involved in repairing the bird cage.

Congrats on the future purchase!! :thumb

Yes, look for rust around the bird cage like mentioned in previous posts. Check tire wear front and back (alignment)... all the lights should work... wipers... make sure it starts from cold and runs well... shifts well from gear to gear... and make sure it doesn't smell inside or out.

That last part is important- I once had a barn find that STUNK of mouse urine even after I gutted all the carpet and padding. :ugh

Also, if it has a funny smell while driving it, there could be leaks either from the oil, tranny, power steering, or radiator. Each of those has a slightly different odor- so you may want to take someone with you if they are versed in cars.

Well I have finished my search for a corvette and it is not a 1982 Corvette. I found a beautiful car and it will be delivered to my house this weekend. It was a long search (12 months) but I am happy with the car. Great condition and only 41K miles.
imagejpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Congrats!!! :thumb

Well I have finished my search for a corvette and it is not a 1982 Corvette. I found a beautiful car and it will be delivered to my house this weekend. It was a long search (12 months) but I am happy with the car. Great condition and only 41K miles.
imagejpeg

Based on the unpainted, natural aluminum strip in the lower moldings that it is a beautiful 1980. If you're not careful, you could have a lot of fun in that beautiful ride. Looks like a lot of good times just waiting to happen.

Welcome to the C3 club.

imagejpeg

It took me a long time to find a good c3 also. I would look at a car that looked good in the pics, but were at best in need of full restoration, and often only good for parts.

I looked at one that was in poor condition, too many details to go into. I was feathering the throttle cause it wouldn't stay running, and a hot rod pulled next to me, and thought I wanted to drag race. I had to drive it through the getto, and almost got pulled over by a city cop cause it wandered all over (bad ball joints maybe). He probably thought I was a slam dunk DUI. We pulled into his driveway and the officer kept going. It's funny when I think back, but at the time I was fit to be tied.

View attachment vette pic.pdfSo I have started working on the car and the first item I can come across was this issue in the picture. I am not sure where the wire should be plugged in. I would appreciate any feed back. Service manual has not arrived.

Last edited:
So I have started working on the car and the first item I can come across was this issue in the picture. I am not sure where the wire should be plugged in. I would appreciate any feed back. Service manual has not arrived.

Still looking for some input on the attached picture. Thanks Doug

Still looking for some input on the attached picture. Thanks Doug

You've saved the pic as a .pdf file and posted it as an attachment, which mean is must be downloaded and opened to view. Many people don't/won't/can't do this for fear of a virus etc.

Post the pic as a .jpg which means it's directly viewable.

I had to reduce the size of the pic so the system would allow me to post. I hope the picture is clear enough.

vet valve.jpg

I have reduced the size of the picture of the valve so it can be posted. I hope it is clear enough. I am still trying to determine where this should be plugged in. I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks

vet valve.jpg

Well my shop manual arrived so I now know what the valve is for, (Convertor Lock Up). Now I have to find the wire that it plugs into. The search begins.

Profile picture

Seem to have an issue posting a picture with my profile. Can you provide me some guidance.

Thanks

If you go to the 'site and feedback' area in that section you will find instructions that should help you post a pic

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom