Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 crossfire-bad idle_ dies

Yes, the oil pressure switch could be going bad, since the unit supplies voltage for the pump on one side, and voltage for the gauge on the other lead. You should be running 40-45 PSI at cold idle and 20-25 PSI at hot idle with it goig back up to 40 or so above 1000 RPM. You might want to clean up the switch connector contacts first to make sure you are getting a good connection. You might also try fitting an oil pressure gauge on the switch fitting to double check your pressure readings in case the oil pump pressure really is going too low.
:w

Hello, I checked out the TPS and it tested fine, someone told me the EGR valve could possibly be bad so I pulled the line off and stuck a bolt in it as a plug and seems to be running fine now, it seems to be idling too high and will still cough but only when stomping pedal to the floor. Anyway wife has been driving daily now. But like I mentioned before when this sets something different goes wrong every time I get in it. This week the wipers and pass. window quit. the wipers will work but only on the wash cycle, probably the switch???? Well I want to say a special thanks to you and everyone for the advise, Thank You very much.

Jeanie2002, how are you doing with this?
Do you need any more help?

Well been awhile since we chatted, since this thing has been running awesome, tons of power quick response--just great, until last weekend. My wife drove it running fine, parked in a lot, came back out turns over but no start, first thing I checked was F/P,no power to fuse. I was curious about fuel so I gave it a shot of starting fluid, nothing. Does not fire, I checked current to distributor, good there. Traded out coil with a known good one, nothing. took ign. module to auto zone, tested good. I was wondering if the ECM might be the culprit??????? Thanks

Well been awhile since we chatted, since this thing has been running awesome, tons of power quick response--just great, until last weekend. My wife drove it running fine, parked in a lot, came back out turns over but no start, first thing I checked was F/P,no power to fuse. I was curious about fuel so I gave it a shot of starting fluid, nothing. Does not fire, I checked current to distributor, good there. Traded out coil with a known good one, nothing. took ign. module to auto zone, tested good. I was wondering if the ECM might be the culprit??????? Thanks
There is never a dull moment with these antiques is there?
I would go back and check that terminal connection at the battery box first to see if the power is getting to the fuel pump fuse, and the ECM. If there's no spark at the distrubutor, it may be a problem with the ignition switch itself, could also explain the loss of power to the fuel pump. Go over the wiring schematics carefully and look for a common source of power loss starting at the battery through the switched ignition and out to the wiring harness. The fusable links at the starter are possible sources of the problem, but this sounds more like something has lost connection due to vibration.
It wouldn't hurt to re-clean all of the ECM connectors again just to be sure.
I'm glad you got a few weeks of smooth running out of her before winter sets in.
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom