Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Nine out of ten good starts - that one lousy start is killing me and my mechanic

D

detred197

Nine out of ten good starts - that one lousy start is killing me and my mechanic

I've got a 1982 Crossfire vette. Now I already know how horrible this system is and I have heard all of the horror stories that go along with it, but my mechanic and I have pretty much nailed the system. We have virtually replaced everything on the car ranging from sensors, cam, air conditioning, distributor (rest is too long to write). The only thing that is bothering us now is that one out of appx 10 starts, we get a bad start. It doesnt want to turn over and when it does it is really rocky, sometimes I pull a check engine code. GET THIS ... whenever that happens, I give her some gas and then ranging from 30-60 seconds, she will clear out and the check engine light will go off.
IF ANYONE HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH THE 82 please tell me your story!!!

OH AND I HAVE ANOTHER ?? I want to throw up to the audience.... I want a meatier sound to my vette... I already have brand new Flowmasters ... SHOULD I REMOVE THE CAT .. or should I hollow it out, or buy a super high flow cat!!

let me know ..

Thanks,
Kyle

I don't know the emission rules in NJ,but.... lose that cat alltogether and put on true duals.(did I say that?)

Dave

Throw away the cat, don't gut it. It will sound like marbles in a tin can.

As for your problem, what code does it give (did you check that? ground ground-test pinouts on aldl)

Did you check the starter relay, the P/N switch. Did you try a starter blanket?

Marck

My 82 was doing the same thing.Replaced items like you did and still had the problem once in awhile.The last thing I replaced was the computer and this problem has quit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom