Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 Automatic Vette - Not starting without giving it gas.

Sierra'sVette

Corvette
1984 Corvette
I have a 1984 Crossfire Injection Automatic, It won't start without giving it fuel (pumping the peddle) There doesn't seem to be any issues with the injectors as they appear to be working fine once started. I assume the injectors should give a little fuel when cranking the key, but they don't. Does anyone know where I should start?

I'm not a mechanic and I just bought my Corvette, so be easy on me please. :)
Thanks!!!

Can't with what the problem may be sorry. But getting a factory service manual (FSM)would probably be a good idea. It will include troubleshooting guides and test procedures as well as a lot of other useful info.

won't start without giving it fuel (pumping the peddle)
I assume the injectors should give a little fuel when cranking the key, but they don't.
Does anyone know where I should start?
Having your foot on the pedal ( > 25% throttle ? ) while cranking over shuts of the injectors

FWIW
You can't " pump gas' on a EFI engine ; there is no accelerator pump like on a carb.
All you are doing is adding more air while combined with the injector fuel shutoff is overcoming a rich condition while cranking
You have too much fuel from somewhere

I've taken the cover off the injectors to watch. When I crank the key it doesn't inject any fuel and the car wont start. But once I give it gas while cranking, fuel is injected and it starts. It tells you to do this in the manual if it wont start by initial cranking but doesn't tell you what causes it. Thanks for the replies guys

Sound like your TPS sensor (Throttle positioning sensor) is in need of adjusting. It's located on the drivers side TB (throttle body)...this is a simple adjustment with a DVOM (digital volt/Ohm meter) and a FSM

Fixed It

I was also having issues with the center radio/ac clusterback lights and the lcd dimmer switch not working, didn't think these could berelated to the fuel/not starting issue. (Needless to say, I had checked all thefuses I thought could possibly be the culprit) After looking at the superdetailed illumination electrical schematics and the ignition switch powerdistribution schematic I realized the gauges fuse is somehow connected to thetail fuse and powers the tps sensor so I checked the tail fuse and sure enoughblown...Been riding around for a week without tail lights and didn't even knowit. Never would have thought the tail light fuse would have caused this manyissues. Sure glad I didn't start tearing into something over a fuse. It starts right up and everything is lit, thank you all :) Bizarre

Attachments

• 84ignswitch2.jpg
    84ignswitch2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 84instpanel.jpg
    84instpanel.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 106

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom