Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 Corvette Water Pump

jacob9582

Corvette
1984 Brilliant White Coupe, Targa Top
clear.gif
1984 Corvette Water Pump Replacement
I have a 1984 C4. I just replaced the radiator this past weekend due to a coolant leak from the front end of the car. The job went very well but after all was said and done I drove the car for ~ 1 hr and then parked it on my driveway. I am now seeing a leak from futher back which I believe is coming from the water pump.

Does anyone have a write up on how to change the water pump. I have found some relatively inexpensive pumps on www.rockauto.com. I have done my due dilligence and checked the local shops for pricing on this job and have found nothing for under $300.00 in labor. I am mechanically inclined however, have never done this job on a C4 before.

Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

clear.gif
Does anyone have a write up on how to change the water pump. I have found some relatively inexpensive pumps... am mechanically inclined however, have never done this job on a C4 before.
If you have done a water pump before you should be able to do this one. I have used a digital camera for disassembly pics, printed out for reassembly reminders.

I highly recommend getting a remanufactured WP of high quality so you don't have to do the job again, soon. Also, ensure you get a WP for an '84 Corvette,not just any Chevy WP. I am not positive but it may rotate 'backwards' due to the serpentine belt system.

Be very careful around the opti. If it gets wet kiss it goodbye.

Also, IF you have to change an opti DEFINITELY replace all three crankshaft seals. Learned that the HARD way. :mad

Good luck.

Being that I have a 84 C4 I don't have an opti correct? I did a tune up on the car w/wires plugs and distributor cap last fall. Let me know.

Yup, my bust, I forgot. :eyerole It’s not too hard to do. Some people raise the engine some can get their hands in there.

Do you have an FSM? If not I’d get one.

I purchased mine off ebay for a fraction of the cost new.

If you have done a water pump before you should be able to do this one. I have used a digital camera for disassembly pics, printed out for reassembly reminders.

I highly recommend getting a remanufactured WP of high quality so you don't have to do the job again, soon. Also, ensure you get a WP for an '84 Corvette,not just any Chevy WP. I am not positive but it may rotate 'backwards' due to the serpentine belt system.

Why do you recommend getting a remanufactured water pump over a brand new pump? You can get a brand new Duralast water pump from Autozone for $50. I haven't put one of those in, but thats the one I'd go for as it is a good price, is brand new, and I can pick it up locally.

I wouldn't bother with AC Delco. As that is aftermarket made anyways and cost for those can be around $250 depending on where you get it.

you're right about the rotation. I think the L-98 water pump is a short-shaft reverse, although I may be wrong about part of that...Chevy has several in service.
I DO know that as long as you are accurate about the yr & model it will be right. These are all aluminum body with a stamped impeller and pretty cheap. Get the good one so you do not have to do this again. It's not horribly bad, just a pain in the low back to be bent over that much for that long. There are many things that have to be removed before finding the water pump...
Nows a great time to replace the lower radiator hose if you have'nt already. There IS one piece of pipe that needs to be replaced for the heater hose. The old one is usually rusted in place and frozen in the aluminum pump body. its just a pipe fitting so its easy to replace at Home Depot. I do not think the new pump will have this pipe fitting...

you're right about the rotation. I think the L-98 water pump is a short-shaft reverse, although I may be wrong about part of that...Chevy has several in service.
I DO know that as long as you are accurate about the yr & model it will be right. These are all aluminum body with a stamped impeller and pretty cheap. Get the good one so you do not have to do this again. It's not horribly bad, just a pain in the low back to be bent over that much for that long. There are many things that have to be removed before finding the water pump...
Nows a great time to replace the lower radiator hose if you have'nt already. There IS one piece of pipe that needs to be replaced for the heater hose. The old one is usually rusted in place and frozen in the aluminum pump body. its just a pipe fitting so its easy to replace at Home Depot. I do not think the new pump will have this pipe fitting...

It's not that hard to find a water pump for a Corvette. Any parts store or even at Rockauto. You just put your year, make, and model, and it shows up what water pump you need.

What do you consider to be a good water pump?

what I consider to be a good pump is going to be more expensive but it will save you tons of bucks in other ways...
Any of the performance cast impeller pumps will last longer, move water twice as efficiently and cool much better at low speed or idle.
Thats a good pump. Next would be the top shelf pump from a chain store that is new, not a rebuild. It's a lot of work to find out afterwards that the reman pump does not work. besides, the new will have at least 1 yr warranty. I think remans run around $45 and the new might sell for $60. The Edelbrock cast will run $200 but they're worth it with a new radiator, keeping the motor comfortable would be a breeze.

Thanks for all the replies. I went with an OEM replacement from NAPA Autoparts. Cost 42 dollars. The Job was not fun and took me ~4.5 hours to complete. The car runs great w/no leaks. Don't attempt this job unless you are positive you have all the right tools. Had I not had a full set of shop tools I would have been in deep deep trouble.

Thanks for all the replies. I went with an OEM replacement from NAPA Autoparts. Cost 42 dollars. The Job was not fun and took me ~4.5 hours to complete. The car runs great w/no leaks. Don't attempt this job unless you are positive you have all the right tools. Had I not had a full set of shop tools I would have been in deep deep trouble.

Which pump did you get from Napa? I don't see that they sell an OEM pump. The OEM pump should be the Airtex pump. If you got something else, then it isn't OEM.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom