Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1984 Hard to start after driving

Lonnie Cox

Corvette
1984 Red Coupe
I have 84 75000 miles on it. I drive it a short distance and if let sit for 45 min to 60 min. Its hard to start. It runs rough and floods out then smooths out run's fine after several attempts. I need some clues has someone out there had this happen and your fix. I think it,s in the crossfire. The fuel pump is good and new fuel filter.;shrug

Lonnie....I have an 84 with 159,000 miles on it and had exactly the same thing you seem to have, also had an idle issue intermittently, and I decided to pull the fule pump, even though it seemed to work fine, and replaced it with a Delphi pump made for an 85 through 89 corvette. That pump has significantly more pressure. Poof.....all my issues seem to have gone away!

From experience, I'd tell any 84 owner to pull the fuel pump and replace it just as I did. I can't even begin to tell you how much better my car runs, hot and cold.

I had a belief that my hard starting and killing problems when it was hot were vapor lock issues till I changed the pump! It's all better now!

Invest the dough on a new pump, it will be well worth the money spent!

Please keep us informed through this thread....good luck!

Thanks will do on new fuel pump. And will let you know how it works out. thanks again. Lonnie

Not yet havent had the time. Working 12 hour days 6 days a week. Hope to get done soon going to vette fest in Sept. at Effingham Il. Will let you know how replaced fuel pump turns out.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom