Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 Overheating

ParisTNDude

Corvette
2010 C6 Grand Sport
I know this is a very old subject and I've searched for remedies to the reports of overheating on the single fan C4s and found most would agree, these C4s need an all aluminum 2 row radiator to fix the problem. However, I was perusing the GM 1984 Corvette Shop Manual, Electrical Troubleshooting Shop Manual Supplement, I bought off eBay and found the description of the cooling fan circuit operation which says, "When the engine temperature reaches approximately 114 degrees celsius (238 degrees F), the switch closes completing the Fan Motor circuit to ground." This is talking about the operation of the "Engine Coolant Temperature Switch" which is wired in series with the "Engine Cooling Fan Relay" that turns the fan on and off. If that's the case, it looks like you wouldn't have to worry about temperatures in the 220-230 degree range. What do you think???

I know this is a very old subject and I've searched for remedies to the reports of overheating on the single fan C4s and found most would agree, these C4s need an all aluminum 2 row radiator to fix the problem. However, I was perusing the GM 1984 Corvette Shop Manual, Electrical Troubleshooting Shop Manual Supplement, I bought off eBay and found the description of the cooling fan circuit operation which says, "When the engine temperature reaches approximately 114 degrees celsius (238 degrees F), the switch closes completing the Fan Motor circuit to ground." This is talking about the operation of the "Engine Coolant Temperature Switch" which is wired in series with the "Engine Cooling Fan Relay" that turns the fan on and off. If that's the case, it looks like you wouldn't have to worry about temperatures in the 220-230 degree range. What do you think???
Won't hurt a thing!~!! Fact is most cars now days are designed to run in excess of 220 deg,for allot of reasons!Later c4's primary fan kicks on at about 226 unless AC is running and you are moving less than 55 MPH or a cooling system diagnostic code is present then it runs all the time and secondary fan kicks on at about 235,unless a cooling system diagnostic code is present and then it too runs all the time!~!! :thumb

Heck,260* won't hurt a engine as long as there is enough cooling system pressure to keep the coolant from boiling out!~!!:thumb

:beer

Overheatin'

Well, it's good to see someone else agrees. In the same Service manual, the description of the radiator cap says something like: If the cap holds pressure at a certain pressure, the coolant will not boil until over 260 degrees. I'm not worrying about mine anymore!! Thanks for your response.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom