Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 Runs great untill operation temperature

Corvette
1984 bright red
My crossfire runs great when warming up. The second it reach operating temperature the check engin light starts blinking and i hear several solenoids ( more than one ) clicking like mad in the engine. One of them is from the smogpump i think. The engine trows code 22 and 55. ( counting the blinks ) I changed TPS, fuelpump, fuelfilter and o2 sensor. I am starting to think it is the ECM. I have ordered a new one. Will get it in a few days. Anyone experienced similar problems? And what do i have to do before trying a new ECM ? I think it comes with PROM. If it is not the ecm i am out of ideas.

ecm

Hey guys. I got my ecm today. Anyone who can explain the right way to do it)) I don't want to fry it :chuckle Will be greatful for all help i can get :)

For MY84 DTC 22 is a throttle position sensor fault. One solution is to replace the sensor but there are other reasons what code can set such as TPS adjustment or a wiring/connections problem. If you replaced the sensor and the code still sets, then the problem was not the sensor. See the Factory Service Manual for more information on how to diagnose that problem.

If DTC 55 sets, there is no solution other than to replace the ECM, which you've already done.

After the ECM replacement, did DTC 22 reset?

Hi and thanks. I have replaced the TPS and set it to settings. I have not put the new one in yet, because the instructions that came with. It told me to check solenoids before i do so.. And one of the tests failed. I am really confused, because acording to sheets i have this is testing the fuelinjectors, from the ecm connectors inside the car. They say it should be more than 20 ohm resistance, and fuelinjectors on crossfire 1984 only have 1,2-1,5 ohm. I tested directly each one of them and they are good. From connector it gives 3 ohm and that should be right. II talked to Standard in USA, and they could not help at all. He sayd they are refurbished in Mexico, and he had no way for me to contact them. I know fuelinjectors in Tpi engine 1985 upneed to be more than 10 ohm, but not mine. So i don`t know what to do. Maybe i just take the chance and put it in and see what happen ;)

1984 Factory Service Manual says that resistance across the injectors, "...should to be over 1.4-ohm." If you have 1.2-1.5-ohm, depending on how accurate your DVM is, I think your Ok.

Have an assistant crank the engine, if you see both injectors spraying fuel, rather than worrying about the injectors, I'd install the new TPS, adjust it correctly, then road test the car to see if DTC 22 resets.

BTW, do you have a 1984 Factory Service Manual?

Last edited:
1984 Factory Service Manual calls for resistance across the injectors to be more than 1.4-ohm. If you have 1.2-1.5-ohm, depending on how accurate your DVM is, I think your Ok.

Rather than worrying about the injectors right now, I'd install the new TPS, adjust it correctly, then road test the car to see if DTC 22 resets.

BTW, do you have a 1984 Factory Service Manual?

Yeah. That is my toughts too. No I do not have the servicemanual. I am going to check the groundings to ecm aswell. I do not know for sure that the old one is fried, but after changed to new tps and also new o2 sensor the car acted the same so i decided to get a new one since a had code 55 going on.

Buy a Service Manual.
Doing engine controls diagnostics without one is like flying blind. CAC sponsor Zip Products sells them for your car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom