Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1985 4+3 Shifting Smoothness

91-Vetteman

Corvette
1991 Blue Coupe
Looking at an 85 with manual trans & with 87,000 miles. I currently own a 1981 Vette auto trans and I am looking to add a little more fun to my spring and summer weekend drives.

I have not owned a car with a maual transmission for several years, but I have driven some. During my 2 test drives, I had issues with finding gears, particulary 3rd gear. I understand this is 85 technology and not the same as shifting a 2007 model. Just wondering, is it someithing I will get use to over time or are there any issues with the 85 manual tranmission.

Below is a pic of the car I am looking at !!
Thanx in advance for you comments!! :beer

Looking at an 85 with manual trans & with 87,000 miles. I currently own a 1981 Vette auto trans and I am looking to add a little more fun to my spring and summer weekend drives.

I have not owned a car with a manual transmission for several years, but I have driven some. During my 2 test drives, I had issues with finding gears, particulary 3rd gear. I understand this is 85 technology and not the same as shifting a 2007 model. Just wondering, is it something I will get use to over time or are there any issues with the 85 manual transmission.

Below is a pic of the car I am looking at !!
Thanx in advance for you comments!! :beer

A lack of proper maintenance RUINS the 4+3. People don't always do the right thing in terms of maintenance with those trannys. This and the complexity of a manual plus overdrives tends to scare people from them.

However, if you find one that has been well maintained- then go for it. They are a unique piece of Vette history and they get rarer as time goes by!

When you say "finding" gear are you talking about missed shifts with the gearbox section of that transmission or are you talking about the electricro-hydraulic overdrive section not working when it should engage?

If it's the gearbox section, which is nothing more than a Warner Super T10, I'd get the Factory Service Manual and adjust the gear shift mechanism according to its instructions.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then it may be time to pull the Doug Nash and overhaul the gear box section...might as well do the electric overdrive, too.

Hey Hib, I am referring to missed shifts, not exactly sure of where each gear position is. It is not mechanical in nature, definitely my unfamilarairity with the gear locations in the gear box. Seems less smoother / quieter then shifting my freind's mini cooper. Again, the difference might be comparing a performance muslce car type trans, 25 years of technology improvement, or a shitty inexperienced driver. Or all of the above !! Thanx !!

The gear locations are shown in a little diagram on the top of the shift knob.

When you say you're friends "mini cooper" if you mean the current Mini made by BMW, you will NEVER approach the shift feel of the Mini even with your Corvette's Doug Nash gearbox is perfect. The gearbox section of your Vette's trans is a big, clunky, 1950s design.

You can improve the shift feel by 1) adjusting the shifter, 2) repairing worn parts in the transmission and going to a better lubricant in the gearbox section--Red Line MT90 would be a good choice for that.

I have owned an 85 with the 4+3 for 5 years now and love it, I had to put in a manual push button switch on the console for the OD engagement which I leave on all the time. No problems with it just make sure you keep up maintenance on it ( fluid, etc ). I actually like driving it sometimes better then my 96 LT1 CE, just seems like there is more power and get up and go with manually shifting over the automatic.
Gordon

Thanx Hib, you confirmed my thoughts. And Gordon, I agree, much more power and fun to drive then my 1981 automatic. You guys are making the decision to buy this thing much easier !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom