Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1985 Cold Start Injector Issue

J

jnsampson

Recently, while my 85 coupe was in Ed Bozarth Chevrolet, I was told that I might have a leak in my cold start injector. The mechanic there told me that GM no longer makes the replacement part and I've been unable to find one on the internet. I really don't want to go to a junk yard for a replacement. So. . . here's the question:

Can I just simply have the cold start injector bypassed? It was suggested that I could get a new EPROM and use the programing for cold starts.

Anyone have any suggestions?

That's interesting John. Did you try all the major parts houses? I would think there would be. If not, I'll be hunting for one as a spare. Keep us posted.:w

have a 1985 too

umm if your cold start is not working,, your car wouldn't start at all, is that whats its doing?
it would just go when when when when
as if u getting no gas,,

Originally, there was difficulty starting the car if it had been run for a while. I took it in and the mechanic at Bozarth Chevrolet told me that the fuel pump was bad and it was replaced. That fixed 95% of the problem. It's still a little hard to start when it's been run. When they hooked up the meter to the fuel pressure line, it showed I had a slow leak. The thought was it was either a leaky injector OR the Cold Start injector. Per Chevrolet, GM does not make the part any more since the cold start injector wad discontinued in '89.

I plan to get a new set of injectors and my mechanic is going to install them for me. Hopefully that'll solve the problem. But in the off chance it's still leaknig because of the cold start injector, then I either need to find a replacement or have it bypassed and do a software fix in the PROM.

hmm

i dont' think its your cold start valve

if its leaking go tighten up the bolt on it

there is only one, should be a torque screw attached to one of your runners

jnsampson

I have one of these cold start injectors on my trans am that was converted to speed density that I dont need anymore or Ive seen them for sale on ebay every once in awhile

Try TPiS

They might be able to help....

Ken knows there info.

Vig!

omg

i just broke my cold start valve

i bent the pipe and it just broke off

so all of u guy's that work on your engines don't bend that pipe

it will take a whole week to order a new one

and only one store had one

cost me 46 bucks

so i found one. to buy, im sure u could it only took me 6 minutes to find one too

Cold Start Injector Issue

OK, here's the latest. After I had the fuel pump replaced along with all the necessary "extra" parts, the car starts well when it's warm. When it's been sitting all night long and I start it first thing in the morning, it starts but runs really rich and the engine knocks until it warms up a bit, usually within 15-30 seconds.

:confused

umm

that might be a vaccume leak

or your air idle control

One thing I forgot to mention. When the car was in the Chevy dealership for fuel pump replacement, they hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and showed me that there was a very slow leak in the fuel pressure system. They attributed it to either a leaky Cold Start Injector or leaky fuel injectors.

:duh

well

there is a o ring around the cold start valve maybe thats it

OK, sometimes the obviouis slips on by. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had leaking fuel injectors just recently - replaced them with new ones. Anyway, I couldn't find a cold start injector either so I left it alone

I've read that the cold start injector is no longer available. I've also heard you can have your memcal (chip) burned to not use it.
GM stopped using it after 88 (I think). But this isn't really necessary. It only comes into play when the coolant is something less that less than 40 deg or so. Shouldn't effect the car starting unless the weather is cool then it may crank a little before starting.

There are places that will clean and recondiiton your fuel injectors - some even do the cold start injector. I'll see if I can get you a link or phone number.

When the mechanic says it's leaking he means the injector doesn't close all the way - fuel is sprayed into the manifold when it shouldn't be. This can cause you to run rich when you are cold (open loop), Once the car warms up and the computer goes closed loop it should adjust for the leak.

AS a side note:
Folks who upgrade their L98's to the Accel Super Ram intake have to delete the cold start valve - no provsiion for it on the new intake. I haven't heard of any problems with starting the cars, even without re-programed chips.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks, I linked over there and it seems like a great site. I'll be contacting them for sure.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom