Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1985 Corvette

Ronnov4You

Corvette
1985 Corvette
Does anyone have any info on engine overheating on this model. I have once replaced top half of my engine due to overheating. Fan does not come on until 228 degrees. This is entirely to hot. GM mechanics advise this is normal and appropriate but once burned does not mean I want to go through it again. I live in SC and temps are very hot in summer. I don't drive car due to this heating problem. Any advice?:w

Moving out of the Proving Grounds forum and into the C4 Tech forum...

Welcome onto the boards there.

228 is the normal 'Fan ON' temp. Does it take temps back down in a few minutes? Such as when sitting in the garage idling?

Have you checked the radiator housing bottom, for road debris? A lot of jam does collect there.

If it runs for very long, without bringing down the temps, flush the coolant passages and replace coolant.

Thanks! I'll check all that. Just nervous about what I think is extremely high temps. Already replaced head gasket and had engine reworked due to overheat. Would rather see lower temps at 185- 190. Don't care about screaming performance. Rather have engine run cooler and run longer.

228 is the normal 'Fan ON' temp. Does it take temps back down in a few minutes? Such as when sitting in the garage idling?

Have you checked the radiator housing bottom, for road debris? A lot of jam does collect there.

If it runs for very long, without bringing down the temps, flush the coolant passages and replace coolant.[/QUOTE]

I have a question regarding the electric cooling fan on my '85 Corvette. I thought I'd ask in this forum first. My fan has always come on at 204 degrees and shut off at 196 degrees since I've owned it (2001). Now, for some reason it will come on at 204 degrees and it might just keep running or it might shut off at 180 degrees. Just today, when I started it at "LO" temperature after it sat all day, the fan came on. I turned the ignition on and off twice and it went off. I suspect that it's the sensor located on the right side of the engine block just behind the OIL dipstick, but I don't know for sure. If I let the fan continue to run all the time, will the fan motor me able to handle the load or will it burn out from over use? I don't know what quality these fan motors are.

1985 Air conditioner

When using the 85's air conditioner when does the fan come on? Did your 85 come from the factory with a fan also in front of the radiator?

Something is definitely goofy with the fan sending unit system. Now it comes on at 150 degrees and sometimes even when the engine is cold and the first start of the day. I think something is stuck in the "on" or "contact" position. Rather than start replacing parts one at a time, I'm just going to take it to the Corvette shop and have them check it out. I've done that "process of elimination" procedure before and ended up replacing parts that were in good working order.

Netnarc2, I'd like to answer your question, but I won't. You need to start your own thread, rather than hijack Ronnov4You's thread. You should only be on this thread if you have a comment or a suggestion for Ronnov4You. Please.

:ugh

Getting back to ronnov, that's what the temps run on my C4 as well, 228 then off at 217. The temps do fall rather quickly when the aux fan comes on. If yours does not I would consider possibly the radiator has some blockage either external or internal. I once had an overheating problem due to clogged radiator internally, did everything else to the car and out of frustration after getting stuck one day I changed the radiator out and the problem disappeared. Maybe check radiator surfaces with a one of those infrared thermometers, look for cold spots. I always monitor coolant temps when driving the car, it does run hot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom