Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 AUTOMATIC TRANS ISSUE

NORTY

Corvette
2006 C6Z DSOM
A friend has a very nice 1986 with 235,000 miles. It has won a few shows because it's in nice shape. The problem is the 700R4 trans. It has lost 3rd and "D." The owner would like to get a C5 so this needs to go.

Should she:
A. Spend $3200 to get a "new" trans?

B. Sell the car, as is?

C. Part it out?

D. Find out where Mike Jackson is going to be buried?

E. Fire the shop that quoted you $3200 for a 700R4!

That's a ridiculous price, unless it is some super-duper Kryptonite proof 1000HP build. Get some rebuild quotes...that should be easily doable for under a grand. There's nothing that makes it any more difficult to rebuild than any other 700R4 (and they were used in LOTS of different vehicles).

I agree, shop around a bit and do some research on who is quoting the work. Put some numbers down on paper, and look at it from a monetary point of view.

Although, it may be fun for a while driving in 1st and 2nd!!

I put my cash on 2nd and overdrive is gone.

2nd and OD used the same bands, and got double duty for each shift cycle. That's why GM said city driving in 3rd. Seen it dozens of times...

$3200? Get an itemization of the estimate, shop tele # too, and get it posted on the internet.

They'll keep that fertilizer in their own garden - betcha' uh huh

Thanks for the advice, She's going to sell it to the State of Cali as a gross polluter. (She's looking @ $4500!)
Now, her search for a C5!:beer

$4,500? :confused

Arnold is NOT broke.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom