Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 back-lit dash

Rondiggy

Corvette
1986 Dark Red Metallic
There are 4 lights which illuminate the dash LCD in my '86. Three of them have burned out. I am trying to replace them. I have removed the plastic cluster cover and have taken off the round metal lamp "covers". Here is the problem: I have loosened one of the three lamps but can't grab it to remove it. It has since fallen behind the LCD. I tried to grab the second lamp and it is threatening to fall as well. I need suggestions on how to remove the old lamps.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben, how did it fall behind the LCD? What are you using to grab them? If you really need to, unplug and remove the cluster. ( there are 4 screws which I beleive are 9/32 to remove it; a nutdriver works well) You will have to separate the back of the cluster once it's out, but you will then be able to expose the twist in sockets the bulbs are in, making the bulb change easy.

I prefer this way myself, but you can do them as you described using a tight fitting piece of hose over the old bulb, or even needlenose if you have a light hand.

I was using needle nose pliers to get the bulbs out. It fell behind the LCD because when I was pulling the lamp out the bulb pulled away from the socket. So, just the socket is behind the LCD. It doesn't look like they actually plug into anything, just make contact with the circuit board; does that sound right? If I can't get them I will look for the screws and remove the LCD.
Is there any suprises I should be aware of if I take out the LCD?

Thanks!

Ben, how did it fall behind the LCD? What are you using to grab them? If you really need to, unplug and remove the cluster. ( there are 4 screws which I beleive are 9/32 to remove it; a nutdriver works well) You will have to separate the back of the cluster once it's out, but you will then be able to expose the twist in sockets the bulbs are in, making the bulb change easy.

I prefer this way myself, but you can do them as you described using a tight fitting piece of hose over the old bulb, or even needlenose if you have a light hand.

If it fell behinf the cluster somehow, Don't worry it will shake itself out onto the floorboard eventually:L

Now seriously, there is a socket behind the bulb, which will twist out, about a quarter turn when you expose it. They do get hot and brittle, which is probably why when you buy new bulbs the socket is included (at least from NAPA).

Only things that I can think of as a heads up if you pull the cluster is this:
It's a tight fit. Lower the tilt as low as you can, and shimmy the cluster out out. Be careful not to scratch the lower part of your dash, its easy to do. Also, the harness for the dash is a tight fit to the DIC, it might be helpful remove the screws from it to be able to get your hand in there from that side.

Overall, pretty simple deal. Let us know how you make out. Joe

If it fell behinf the cluster somehow, Don't worry it will shake itself out onto the floorboard eventually:L

Now seriously, there is a socket behind the bulb, which will twist out, about a quarter turn when you expose it. They do get hot and brittle, which is probably why when you buy new bulbs the socket is included (at least from NAPA).

It's a tight fit. Lower the tilt as low as you can, and shimmy the cluster out out. Be careful not to scratch the lower part of your dash, its easy to do. Also, the harness for the dash is a tight fit to the DIC, it might be helpful remove the screws from it to be able to get your hand in there from that side.

DO yourself a favor, if you go the route of pulling the display, and disconnecting the connector, run down to Radio Shack and buy a can of "contact cleaner" give both the harness end & the connector on the display a liberal spray.

Tom

I am with everybody,

Pull the LCD. However if anybody wants to do the bulb removal the way you did, use a piece of heat shrink that will fit exactly around the bulb. This will keep it from falling. And when re-inserting, this will keep you from touching the bulb.

One more thing. I am going to take out the LCD to exchange the bulbs. The problem is; I don't see any screws to losen the LCD. Could you give me an idea on where there are?

Thanks!

One more thing. I am going to take out the LCD to exchange the bulbs. The problem is; I don't see any screws to losen the LCD. Could you give me an idea on where there are?

Thanks!

They are at all 4 corners of the cluster, and are recessed in the dash. Shine a light around the LCD and you'll see 'em. A magnetic nutdriver would be best to put them back in.

carefull with contact cleaner, it is very corrosive. better to use pencil eraser and blow off with air!

carefull with contact cleaner, it is very corrosive. better to use pencil eraser and blow off with air!

Pencil eraser is an old industry standard for cleaning edge connectors, but it doesnt work well for headers with pins & ribbon connectors.
I agree, keep it off the plastic, but it will not harm the PC boards, connectors or
cables, it will remove any contaminates that can and will cause intermittant operation. (been fixin' computers & electronics for over 30 yrs when 4k of core memory was considered a monster! HA HA)

Tom

Pencil eraser is an old industry standard for cleaning edge connectors, but it doesnt work well for headers with pins & ribbon connectors.
I agree, keep it off the plastic, but it will not harm the PC boards, connectors or
cables, it will remove any contaminates that can and will cause intermittant operation. (been fixin' computers & electronics for over 30 yrs when 4k of core memory was considered a monster! HA HA)

Tom
I just did mine and my radio. Bought contact cleaner that is safe for plastics at Radio SHack.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom